Ancient town situated at the eastern edge of the Dordogne, bordering the Correze, Limousin. The upper part of the hillside, overlooking the Vezere. Human occupation is attested in prehistoric times, and the Gallo-Roman (in Gaubert, La Boissiere, Teyssenat and rocks at the bottom of Saint-zur). The growth occurs in the 6th century with the installation of a monastery around Sorus, name of local hermit St. Sour.
Caption: Gontrand the Merovingian king, warned of the great wisdom of the monk smiled, gave the means to the hermit to base its abbey. Saint Sour would let go of his rock doves, and seeing them land in the valley, would have exclaimed: "sunt terra," a term that would have given rise to the name of Terrasson. Life revolves around the monastery as well. Good times in succession with times of war and devastation. The families of the counts of Perigord, the Viscounts of Turenne Limousin and then dominate the region during the troubled times of the Middle Ages, and the church was partially destroyed and the Old Bridge.
Economic activity Terrasson grows with the railroad and highway Brive-Périgueux (coal deposits). The population is increasing, with about 4000 inhabitants in 1900. After the Second World War, industries developed: Papeteries Condat, Plant the PAUMELLERIE Electric (closed in 1987) ... The city stretches and the neighborhoods of La Borie Basse and Maraval is built.