Combining landscapes of water and greenery, the country Stenay is crossed from south to north by the gentle valley of the Meuse and its fat meadow. In the West, it is crossed by the Meuse Hills, while in the East lies the vast and deep forest Woëvre; northwest and finally flows Chiers rise the foothills of Ribs Mosel, based on the Ardennes nearby.
Stenay was originally Celtic, Gallo-Roman town before becoming the 7th century Merovingian royal. Residence of the last Merovingian king Dagobert II, including a permanent exhibition traces the memory near the Tourist Office, "Stenay Lorraine", also called Asthenidum then Sathanacum the Middle Ages, was one of the strongest fortresses of the Meuse valley after Sedan. Stenay was successively owned by Godfrey of Bouillon, the Dukes of Lorraine and the Prince of Conde, who connected it to the Fronde, which resulted in taking and dismantling of the city, ordered by Louis the 14th in 1689. Some beautiful buildings that belonged to the citadel which still testify that houses the museum of beer. Stenay thus turned into major town bourgeois and industrial, military and cultural. Became French, the city still remained on the border and all the sudden invasion, but the war did little to change his appearance.
- Cities around:
- Sedan: 33 km
- Charleville: 58 km
- Luxembourg: 70 km
- Reims: 103 km
- Metz: 110 km
- Nancy: 174 km
- Brussels: 206 km to
- Paris: 250 km
- By road: RD 947 (Montmédy - Vouziers) - RD 964 (Verdun - Charleville).
- By bus: Sedan-Charleville-Stenay (information +33 3 24 33 77 77) - Line-Verdun Stenay (information +33 3 29 86 02 71).
- By water: Canal North Eastern branch (information at 29 March 86 February 47).
- City of Stenay: Tel: +33 3 29 80 30 31 - Email: mairie.stenay @ wanadoo.fr
- Office of Regional Tourist Stenay:
- Open all year from Tuesday to Saturday from 10h to 12h and 14h to 17h in winter, from March to November 18h.
- Guided tours, entertainment, hospitality and tourism literature.
- Tel: +33 3 29 80 64 22 - Email: firstname.lastname@example.org