Combining water and green landscapes, Country Stenay is crossed from south to north through the gentle valley of the Meuse and its fat meadow. In the West, it is crossed by the Cotes de Meuse, while in the East lies the vast and deep forest Woëvre; northwest finally flows Chiers and rise the foothills of the Coast Mosel, which rely on the Ardennes nearby.
Stenay was first Celtic, Gallo-Roman before becoming Merovingian royal city in the seventh century. Residence of the last Merovingian king Dagobert II, including a permanent exhibition traces the memory near the Tourist Office, "Stenay Lorraine", also called Asthenidum then Sathanacum the Middle Ages was one of the strongest fortresses of the Meuse valley after Sedan. Stenay was successively owned by Godfrey of Bouillon, the Dukes of Lorraine and the Prince of Condé who connected it to the Fronde, which led to the decision and the dismantling of the city, ordered by Louis XIV in 1689. Some beautiful buildings that belonged the citadel still testify today including that houses the museum of beer. Stenay then turned into important bourgeois and industrial township, military and cultural. Become French, the city however remained on the border, including all the invasions; but the wars of 1870, 14-18 and 39-45 are miraculously spared.
- Cities and surroundings:
- Sedan: 33 km
- Charleville-Mezieres: 58 km
- Luxembourg: 70 km
- Reims: 103km
- Metz: 110 km
- Nancy: 174 km
- Brussels to 206 km
- Paris: 250 km
- By road: RD 947 (Montmédy - Vouziers) - RD 964 (Verdun - Charleville).
- By bus: Charleville-Sedan-Stenay (information +33 3 24 33 77 77) - Line-Stenay Verdun (information +33 3 29 86 02 71).
- By waterway: Canal North Eastern branch (information +33 3 29 86 02 47).
- City of Stenay: Tel: March 29 80 30 31 - Email: email@example.com
- Tourist Office Pays de Stenay:
- Open all year from Tuesday to Saturday from 10am to 12pm and from 14h to 17h in winter; 18h March to November.
- Guided tours, entertainment, hospitality and tourism literature.
- Tel: +33 3 29 80 64 22 - Email: firstname.lastname@example.org