The village of Sem in Vicdessos Valley, lies at the foot of Ganchette peak at about 1000 m altitude. The village's history is intertwined with that of mine rancid. Iron mine, operated for nearly two millennia, a low furnace discovered some years ago shows that it operated in the 3rd century. The mine, which the count of Foix gave the enjoyment of ore miners, operated until 1930.
Today the village has only about 25 permanent residents, but summer is filled with festivities organized by various associations and the municipality.
If we can always take to walk the Way of the mines, it is not possible to enter the galleries are closed to visitors. But the bravest can always go to the "Trench" area of the first open pit at the top of the peak of Ganchette accessible by the GR10. The less courageous can stop at the village where a small "museum" (for mayor) preserves the memory of the mine.
Sem is also known for its "dolmen" which is a stone erratic left by the glacier Bassiès there are just over 10,000 years.
EVENTS AND CELEBRATIONS
Evening of theater, organized by the Movement in Sem second half of July.
Blues Festival, organized by Love Blues in Sem in August.
ATTRACTIONS, LEISURES AND ACTIVITES AROUND
Sem may also be the starting point of hiking for the day-trip to the neck or Rizoul Grail or to the village in the valley of Lercoul Siguer.