Ancient Roman fortress Sagium, located on the road to the tin, the bishopric of Sées is established from the 5th century by Saint Latuin. Located in the heart of the department of Orne, 25 km north of Alencon, the ancient Sagium or Sagio whose first name is mentioned in 991, takes its name from the Gallic tribe, the sagii. In the 7th century saint Evroult founded the abbey of St. Martin. Important religious center, Sées virtually disappears with the barbarian invasions. The cathedral destroyed four times, was rebuilt in the early 13th century in its current form. Until 1465, the city is composed of three villages: Bishop Bourg, Bourg le Comte and Bourg l'Abbé. The origins of Sées are tripartite: Roman, feudal and monastic.
During the religious wars, the city was sacked by Montgomery.
During the Revolution, Sées were five parishes. The Comte de Provence, later Louis XVIII, is appointed his tutor, Bishop Plessis of Argentré, Bishop of Sées. This fills the region of its benefits and built a magnificent episcopal palace.
Today Sées is one of four towns of France township seat of a bishopric. The episcopal city has retained over the centuries the charm of small towns by incorporating into its landscape, adjustments to the useful life everyday.