The name probably derives Sallanches the term pre-Celtic "Salanca, river, stream. In effect, it means at once the two streams and the city was organized around their confluence.
During recent excavations, two graves features the 5th and 6th centuries have been identified in the basement of the church.
Until the late 18th century, the small town grows as religious and economic center of the region.
Throughout this period, the fate of Sallanches is linked to the province Faucigny Dependency since 1355 the Savoy family who in 1718 founded the kingdom of Piedmont-Sardinia. After the interlude of the French occupation during the Revolution and First Empire (1792-1814), the Sardinian monarchy is restored to the final attachment of Savoy to France in 1860.
In the early 19th century, tourists who visit the glaciers descend to Chamonix hostels Sallanches.
In 1840, Sallanches knows a fire destroyed almost the entire city. Following this catastrophe, it builds a new town as the grid plan of the engineer Justin.
Around 1880, the clock appeared, heralding the future development of cutting (manufacture of metal parts in small, medium or large range).
In 1921, Sallanches resort is declared.
During the '70s, the town merges with that of Saint-Roch (1972) and Saint-Martin (1977).
With industrial development, trade and tourism, the role of Sallanches as the capital of the Mont Blanc asserts itself and endures.
The fire of 1840 will carry with him the organization and the earlier buildings of the city. However, reborn a new city, one we know today.
Her college is under the protection of St. Jacques. Historic Monument, it is a witness of the religious art of the Sardinian restaurant.
On the heights of the church, the castle Rubins is an old manor house built in the 14th century. This building now houses The Center of the mountain nature. The museum is open to the public year round. For more information: +33 126.96.36.199.13.
The town hall-style neo-classical in his living room has a richly decorated ceiling. This building also houses the Tourist Office.
The main square beautifully flowered allows an area of local life. A monumental fountain dedicated to peace in the middle seat.