The village name comes from the presence of the silver mines that were exploited during the Renaissance.
On the industrial side, Sainte-Foy-l'Argentière has always been innovative. In the 19th century, a porcelain factory was founded by the Marquis de Fenoyl. Thanks to the local clay deposit, our ancestors have made and then cooked in wood ovens, tiles engraved with the name of Sainte-Foy-l'Argentière. It was in 1889 that was created the "Great Tuilerie Rhone" celebrated today throughout Europe.