Saint-Paul-Mont-Penit is located at the geographic center of the township of Palluau, North West Vendée, all communes in the canton bordering it, except Apremont. Its area is 1658 ha, altitude does not exceed 40 meters, and its population is approximately 700 (and Montpenois Montpenoises). St. Paul is crossed by the Little Boulogne, a tributary of Life.
The Cure for St. Paul was one of the most important benefits of the Abbey Nieul Autise, it appears as such in an earlier paper in 1306 (Pouillé Gauthier of Bruges, Bishop of Poitiers died in 1306) " sancti Pauli regularium (Abbey Nieul) Order of Saint Augustine. "
Assume, however, a previous existence. As Nieul, the priory is served by the regular order of the Canons of St. Augustine, religious living in community under a rule and exercising a pastoral ministry, that is to say ensuring the church service in the case by the parish of St. Paul. The priors are also curates.
The prior-pastor of St. Paul, as Lord of the premises, had right upper, middle and low justice on the extent of his fief. The areas included the parsonage, called "The Priory" and about 123 ha (the wood of St. Paul of the farm and the small Grois Ymonière).
The priory was pillaged by the Huguenots, aided by Clérembault brothers, lords of Chantebuzin, who drove the Prior, Master William Guilbert. These violent acts were condemned by the court of the Great Days of Poitiers in 1567. Clérembault's brothers were sentenced to be beheaded, but managed to escape to England.
It was the trace of the Canons of St. Augustine again in 1717, the date of burial of one of them. Abbey Nieul is secularized in 1720 and it is unclear what are the consequences for St. Paul as we continue to find the presence of priors. Found in 1792 a last Prior, Ambrose Rivereau and his nephew, Jacques Rivereau, vicar. Both refractory priests, they went into exile that year for Spain.
It is sold as national property to Mr. Porteau, one of the first mayors of St. Paul. Since it remains in the hands of private owners. Lands continue to be operated by farmers into the 60s. The house dates from the 14th century and was rebuilt after the looting by Clérembault the 16th century.