Located south of the Aquitaine region, on the border with Spain, Saint-Jean-de-Luz, resort enjoys an ideal location between sea and mountains.
Saint-Jean-de-Luz, even in the beginning, a small village on the dunes and marshes. In the 15th century, under the prosperity of Basque fishermen, (thanks to the cod fishery, the whale) and the appearance of the pirates who fought on behalf of the King of France, the city became a thriving and dynamic city.
Saint-Jean-de-Luz had its moment of glory, after the Treaty of the Pyrenees concluded by Mazarin. Louis 14th came there to marry Maria Theresa of Austria, Infanta of Spain June 9, 1660. The door of the church of Saint-Jean-Baptiste, crossed his release from the church by the royal couple was walled three years after the ceremony. The badge appeared under the influence of a pastry chef, Adam, who offered to Louis 14th for her wedding in 1660.
In the 19th century, dams, often destroyed, were rebuilt to permanently secure the port and the city. Trips Napoleon 3rd in the region and the enthusiasm of the good society for the Basque Coast debouched at that time, with the arrival of the railroad, on a large tourist development.
The ttoro, fish soup is a specialty Saint-Jean-de-Luz, hake Koskera and Basque cake, are also part of the culinary traditions of the region.