Saint-Hilaire, a name that we have to the monks of Saint-Cyprien de Poitiers, who settled first on the island of Rié which depended on the lordship of Garnache. Later, Marie de Beaucaire, Baronne de Rie, distributed some swamp land in the estuary of life into a parish. Thus was born Croix de Vie. You can see inside the old cemetery of Saint-Hilaire a small chapel was erected by the Baroness de Rie in 1610.
Perched on a hillside, the village of Saint-Hilaire once dominated orchards and salt marshes of life that were known for the production and quality of salt. This activity disappeared in 1950, has revived thanks to the restoration of two salt marshes.
To see: the wood bourrine Juquaud (museum) built in 1818, the buggers Juquaud du Bois is a beautiful example of construction of earth and reeds reflecting the lives of Maraîchine in the marsh in the early 20th century.
To do: horse-drawn carriage, the Atlantic Toboggan Becs, sand yachting, kite surfing, sailing, swimming, relaxing at the beach ...