In Gallo-Roman times, where Saint-Germain-Laprade the current village is located was already occupied as shown, a Roman road, numerous fragments of pottery and coins of the time, a Gallo-Roman stele and above the current base of the bell tower consists of elements of an ancient temple.
The village later took its name from one of the two saints, Saint-Germain l'Auxerrois (384-448) and Saint-Germain in Paris (496-575), while Laprade means an extended closely.
It has a very old church. First mentioned in 1164. The construction was done in several stages. A primitive Romanesque structure was added in the fourteenth century two Gothic side chapels, and in the sixteenth century, two chapels in the North. In the nineteenth century, it is further processed (opening a occulus, crowning of the tower...) and in the twentieth century, several transformations altered a figure that remains special and original.
Plaid: In 976 took place in the neighboring plain, a major event. Under the episcopate of Anjou Guy stood a plaid (assembly of Justice) which allowed the bishop to impose peace to lords still at war. It was one of the first examples in the medieval West the victory of law over force. The millennium was celebrated in 1987 by a storied entertainment near the place of origin. Several hundred villagers participated in front of nearly 2,000 spectators.
An abbey - Abbey Doue - two kilometers, played an important role in local life. Occupied from the twelfth century by the Premonstratensian she knew centuries of prosperity before being sacked during the Revolution. Various restorations have helped save it from ruin.
Saint-Germain is also known for its castle and barony since the twelfth century. Various families occupied it: Turenne, of POINSAC of Mortuaries of Clérico. The barons were once "high justice". This was also the scene of a tragic episode of the Wars of Religion in 1590: The garrison led by Gabriel de Morgues was put to the sword.
Saint-Germain became common in 1790. The village is still the capital of a rather stretched common with other ancient villages like Fay's Triouleyre, Marnhac Noustoulet, Servissac, The Pine, The Pandraux... One of these villages, blavozy, left the town in the late nineteenth century to set themselves up as independent municipality.
Religiously, Saint-Germain-Laprade is a parish.
Finally, two memorials remind the heavy involvement of residents in the world wars of 1914-1918 and 1939-1945. Another monument to Peyrard recalled that July 14, 1944 three resistant were shot by the Germans.
A variable population: The population has varied as evidenced figures (1831: 2 184 inhabitants in 1861: 2604 inhabitants 1921 inhabitants 1610; 1975: 1491 inhabitants). The increase in communications, the extension of the Puy-en-Velay and development policies have reversed the trend (1982: 2169 inhabitants 1999: 3191 inhabitants). The official population from the census carried out in 2013 was 3 528 inhabitants (total population) in the municipality of Saint-Germain-Laprade.
The town retains a rural character until 1970-1980. The establishment of an industrial area, creating an industrial area, the subdivisions of birth and the opening of the Puy agglomeration modified profile in the western half.
If Saint-Germain-Laprade is now looking to the future, it still retains the imprint of a rich and quite prestigious past.
According to research conducted by Jacques Arnaud.