Saint-Georges-de-Didonne is a seaside resort on the French Atlantic coast. This town of Charente-Maritime, situated near Royan at the mouth of the estuary of the Gironde.
Saint-Georges-de-Didonne more than 5000 inhabitants, but this figure is multiplied by ten during the summer.
In the 11th century, there was the building of a fortified village Didonne the initiative of the lord of Didonne. Unfortunately, this castle will be demolished in the 18th century. Only the street cat in the neighborhood of Didonne confirms its existence.
In the mid-12th century, the Cluniac priory dedicated to St. George serves as a stopover for pilgrims going to Saint Jacques de Compostela. The priory was located probably near the conch.
In the 17th and 18th centuries, the religions are in turmoil ...
Saint-Georges-de-Didonne is not spared. Jean Jarousseau Protestant pastor, moved to St. George and profound impact on the region.
This is the 18th century that the drivers are installed at stations abandoning Saint-Georges-de-Didonne Royan and Saint-Palais-sur-Mer.
From 1727 to 1921, the Port of St. George was held responsible by many pilots to guide ships and boats to go up the Gironde estuary: the tragic and thrilling adventures.
Gastronomic specialties: pies, plum melted and seafood platters