The present parish of Saint-Brice-en-Coglès called Puignac in 1050. In this village missionaries had built a church in the name of Saint Brice name of a bishop of Tours. The town is part of Coglais, former Gallo-Roman riding. The Lordship of Saint-Brice-en-Coglès whose existence dates back to the 10th century fell under the Barony of Ferns who was one of nine Baronnies the Duchy of Brittany, who was very important because it defended the entrance of the duchy to the Normans, the French and the English. It seems that Raoul, Baron de Fougeres, struggle with Henry II of England married a daughter of the lord of Saint-Brice. The latter, with its fortified castle of La Motte and the Rock-Portal, defended the marches against the English Barony installed in St James.
This country has a name granite from Brittany. The main explanation relates to the word Breton word Coglais Gougleiz signifying the four directions.
In the early 20th century, several granite quarries were worked hundreds of people.
Today Saint-Brice is the chief town of the canton comprises 11 municipalities.
Since 2007, the municipality is the village Step.
Village in Poetry in 2012.