Rhinau is a small town of about 2,800 inhabitants, situated 32 km south of Strasbourg. It derives its name from the Rhine. Free propelled ferry that runs daily connects the two countries.
Rhinau is mentioned for the first time in the charter of the Emperor Lothair in 845, by which it was donated twelve areas, including Ryno at the Abbey of St-Etienne Strasbourg. In 1236, Ryno has turned into a document and Rhinowe 1264 mentions the presence of a Hospice was founded by "Joannites" Military Order of St John of Jerusalem.
Successive wars of the late Middle Ages to the present day, have much in the history of the city that disasters caused by the Rhine.
The Treaty of 1542 finally fixed the boundaries of Rhinau. Thus 997 ha of land, located on the right bank of the Rhine in Germany, still belong to Rhinau and are now classified as "Nature Reserve".
On both banks of the Rhine, an extraordinary nature formed over the centuries by regular and violent floods, a true paradise for fauna and flora exception is encountered.
Very little affected by the First World War, the city will suffer greatly during the Second World War, it causes the evacuation of the population to the Dordogne where pairing with Beaumont-du-Périgord. Affected 75% of the city Rhinau holds the Croix de Guerre with quote to order the Army Corps.
Rhinau has been completely rebuilt, the old city there remains only the choir of the church of St. Michael dating from 1519 and miraculously spared few houses. This is a young and dynamic town that we discover today and where life is good ...
The two nature reserves: the Taubergiessen (on the German side) and the island of Rhinau. These sites are exceptionally rich in fauna and flora.
Hobbies and activities:
Flat and arrow trails in natural areas - free.
Boat rides by reservation only, at the Tourist Office of the Community of Municipalities of the Rhine: Tel. : +33 3 88 74 68 96.