Founded in 620 by Saint Romaric, Remiremont (Romaric Mons) housed for over a thousand years, in the chapter Chanoinesses the most renowned in Europe, for its antiquity, richness and quality of recruitment, the lives of women from noble and royal families.
County town on the border of three regions (Lorraine, Franche-Comte and Alsace) and on the road Benelux / Basel, economic hub served by the TGV East, its influence extends to many of the Hautes- Vosges, an area comprising nearly 90 000 inhabitants.
Tourist resort at the junction of the valleys of the Moselle and Moselotte, Remiremont is the starting point of Green Lane and offers ideal access to the "green leisure" in the Vosges which is one of the doors.
Discover the gastronomic specialties of Remiremont:
The Trout Pate des Abbesses, made based trout fillets marinated with white wine, a dish that is eaten hot as an appetizer or main course.
The Goose of Remiremont, cupcake Gingerbread, popular in the Parisian salons of the turn of the century.
The Lorikeet Remiremont of cake made from almond paste with the shape of a star with three branches.
From the glorious past of the chapter of noble ladies Remiremont remains a remarkable architectural heritage:
A history center, formerly contained in an enclosure which consists of a beautiful set of buildings mostly dating from the 18th century abbey church of Saint-Pierre 13th century. and its Romanesque crypt from 11th century., ranked among the oldest buildings of Lorraine, fifteen canonical houses, private houses canonesses 18th and Abbey Palace, residence of the abbess and dignitaries of his house built during this same century.
The arcades that border both sides of the main shopping street Remiremont are a unique architectural curiosity Lorraine and perhaps even France. The design of arcades dating from the 18th century with some older remains, presents a wide variety of forms: sometimes the bow is narrow and arched, sometimes a loader and average width or wider and basket-handle , with many variants of these three types, so that no arc is similar. Since their construction, the arches retain their vocation mall, popular Romarimontains and tourists.
The 19 fountains which 9 are classified as Historical Monuments. They date mainly from the 19th century. and some of the 20th century.
Outside the city, is the Chapel of the Madeleine was a former leper colony.
The Tourist Office is at your disposal to organize guided tours in French, English and German, suitable for application by a state-certified guide.
Charles Museum Bruyère: Birthplace of Charles Heath he bequeathed to the city in 1905, and it is home to collections in a museum. Ally the great families of France and true to the values of the Old Regime, Charles Heath had collected many aristocratic portraits, religious paintings and memorabilia from the Abbey Remiremont. City Remiremont, who inherited this collection, knew the value and complete the museum by Charles Heath encyclopedic museum with prestigious collections: paintings, sculptures, objets d'art, history, popular art of Lorraine.
Charles Friry Museum: This museum is in a house that belonged to the noble chapter of Ladies Remiremont, one of the most important abbeys in France. In 1833 Charles Friry young magistrate, settled after his marriage in this house with a prestigious past. Man of many talents, archaeologist, historian, inventor, amateur, artist himself, he enriched his home for 50 years many paintings and art objects. His work was continued by his little son, the painter Pierre Waidmann, the museum has several works.
Venetian Carnival Remiremont: Parade of more than 400 costumed on tunes for 3 days. Free. Mid-March.
Champs Golota: Traditional festival for children into the water craft crafted by them. Week of Lent.
Summer Night: Free shows every Friday evening in July and August.
Parade of Saint-Nicolas: Animation with floats and marching bands. Free. The first Saturday in December.
ATTRACTIONS, LEISURES AND ACTIVITES AROUND
Cleurie: Pretty village while on the balcony Valley Cleurie away from main roads. Cleurie (= clear water) always faces the sun, 12 km from Remiremont.
La Forge: Commune founded in 1789, initially called "Free Forge" whose origin comes from the existence of a Forge in the village, 15 km from Remiremont.
Julienrupt: Small Quiet Village, 500 meters, Julienrupt is located in the verdant valley Cleurie, 13 km from Remiremont.
The Union: The town, founded during the Revolution, is the result of a juxtaposition of seven hamlets in a narrow strip sandwiched between St. Soul and Vagney, 9 km from Remiremont.
Saint-Ame: The village is named after the patron and founder of the parish, with St. Romary, the monastery of Saint-Mont, home of the powerful abbey of Remiremont, 6 km from Remiremont.
Saint-Etienne-les-Remiremont: agricultural and forest hamlet situated at the confluence of the Moselle and Moselotte has grown very important in the 20th century with a flourishing agriculture and industry, 2 km from Remiremont.
Saint-Nabord: A vast territory stretching from north to south and 14 km where the forest ensures a place in the natural landscape, 4 km from Remiremont.
Tendon: Famous for its waterfalls and career of the hut where the stones were extracted granite covering the Champs Elysees, 20 km from Remiremont.
Vecoux: The town belongs geographically to the region of the "Vosges", at the foot of the first major relief. At the confluence of the Moselle and Moselotte, Vecoux, "small valley to attack the mountains", 6 km from Remiremont.