Pontorson is located 9 km from Mont Saint-Michel, 22 km from Avranches and 45 km from Granville.
Located in the middle of the bay of Mont Saint-Michel, Pontorson is a city divided by the Couesnon (one of the three rivers of the bay of Mont Saint-Michel)
Pontorson is "framed" by the Couesnon and over 10 km of marsh area to the south and more than 4 800 hectares of reclaimed land.
Pontorson Township and enjoy a mild oceanic climate and are protected by the bay of Mont Saint-Michel.
Its surrounding communities are: Huisnes-sur-Mer, Tanis, Macey, Vessey, Aucey-la-Plaine, Sougéal, Saint-Georges-de-Gréhaigne, Beauvoir, Le Mont-Saint-Michel.
The city was founded in the 12th century on a vow of William the Conqueror. Important stronghold at the gates of Brittany, Pontorson fortress was razed in 1623 by order of Louis XIII. Some vestiges remain from this period as the Notre-Dame, the hotel Guiscard Ménardière or former Hotel Dieu St. Anthony of Charity.
In 1973 the town merged with Ardevon, Beauvoir, Boucey, Cormeray, Curey, Moidrey and The Pas, who have kept the status of municipalities involved. Beauvoir has regained its independence in 1989. Located 9 km from Mont-Saint-Michel, Pontorson is inside the bay of Mont Saint-Michel, on the banks of the Couesnon, the heart of future major projects that will restore the island's Mount.
The church of Notre-Dame (eleventh and 12th centuries): a vow of William the Conqueror, was built by the companions who built the Mont Saint-Michel. Romanesque and Gothic transition of the 12th and 15th centuries, it is necessary in its environment by its massiveness and its porch flanked by two Romanesque towers with various sculptures.
The old Protestant church (XV century) and former tithe barn: rare to witness an important chapter in the history of Normandy, the temple Pontorson is the only building protesting the Channel prior to the revocation of the Edict of Nantes.
The house of Ménardière Guiscard (the Roman House) (eleventh in the 12th century): This house, called Maison Romane was probably built in the 12th century. Modified the fourteenth, 15th and 18th centuries, it retains its appearance of a large house on which it is possible to read the inscription of the family Guiscard in 1719.
The home of the Earls of Montgomery (now a hotel) this place was once the home of the Earls of Montgomery, whose most illustrious Gabriel 1st (1530-1574) was mortally wounded Henry 2nd in France in a tournament . The floors, painted ceilings, woodwork and grand staircase are all works from this period.
The old stations Pontorson, illustrating the important life process, and the old line from Vitre Moidrey then to Mont Saint-Michel. The line running Pontorson was opened in 1873.
The mill Moidrey, dating from 1806 and completely renovated in the 2000s, now produces its flour.