Pont-à-Mousson the heart of Lorraine, is a commercial and industrial center alive and vibrant. Pont-à-Mousson is currently the 4th largest city in Meurthe-et-Moselle. Chef lieu de canton, it is also a commercial and industrial hub of international reputation and is the world center of ductile iron pipe and halogen lighting.
History: The town takes its name from the Moussson Hill, which overlooks the bridge and allowing access. Its real founder was Thibaut 2nd (1239-1291), Comte de Bar Mousson and that building a castle on the left bank, attracted people from surrounding villages. In 1431, Pont-à-Mousson was united to the Duchy of Lorraine. But it is in the following century the city was to acquire a European reputation. In 1572, in fact, the Cardinal of Lorraine Charles founded a university. In the 17th century, the University of Pont-à-Mousson grew rapidly to count up to 2000 students from all European countries. In 1768, the University was moved to Nancy and the city retained a college and a renowned military school. Destroyed during the war of 30 years, occupied in 1814, moved in 1870, bombed in 1914, she was again damaged in 1944, before being released by the U.S. First Army of General Patton.
Altitude 180 m - 300 km from Paris - Access Highway Nancy-Metz - Thionville connected to all European motorways - Railway Métrolor between Metz and Nancy - Airport Louvigny 10 minutes. Lorraine TGV station 10 minutes.
Built in the 18th century, the abbey Premonstratensian stands at the center of a park that runs along the Moselle. This monument is a wonderful example of monastic architecture of the era, both in proportions and ornament, as evidenced by the impressive staircase.
Extensive restoration work has helped the foundation in 1964 the cultural center of Prémontrés. Exhibitions, conferences, seminars, concerts, dance and theater ... Tel: +33 3 83 81 10 32. The alternate schedule appointments more varied. It currently houses the Regional Tourism Committee and the Regional Natural Park of Lorraine.
The Wire Museum of Paper:
Collection of items made of paper mache.
Presentation of the imaging Pont-à-Mousson.
Other objects of worship, witness the intense religious life Pont-à-Mousson at the time of radiation of the university.
A room devoted to the history of smelters mark 150 years since the regional life.
Open daily except Tuesday from May 1 to September 30. From 14h to 18h and Sundays from 10am to 12pm and 14pm to 18pm. From October 1 to April 30 from 14h to 17h.
For further information: Tel: +33 3 83 87 80 14.
The Brewers of Lorraine
The brewery produces beers natural fermentation and high quality, respecting the tradition of Lorraine.
Guided tour Friday at 17h and by appointment for groups over 20 people from the brewery: discovery of manufacturing principles.
Address: 3 rue du Bois le Prêtre
For further information: Tel: +33 3 83 80 02 64.
The main courtyard of the former University Lorraine (1572 - 1768):
It is the only witness to the whole university built on the right bank of the Moselle. Begun in 1574 under the reign of Charles III, it was completed by his son Duke Henry II in 1608 in the style of the Renaissance. Following the transfer of the university in Nancy in 1768, the buildings sheltered successively the Royal Military School, founded by Louis XVI, then college and high school Pont-à-Mousson, burned in September 1944. The walls were all preserved and restored to its original state in 1952.
The courtyard is the ornament that bears the school since 1980, the name of the Jesuit Father Jacques Marquette, a student and a university professor, discoverer in 1673 of the sources of the Mississippi.
From the 13th century, Pont-à-Mousson is a thriving commercial town before becoming an intellectual center with the creation of the first university in Lorraine in 1572, renowned throughout Europe. As a prestigious past, the city retains a remarkable architectural heritage, the place Duroc to the triangular shape so original, surrounded by arcaded houses of the 15th and 16th and 18th centuries the town hall and the old abbey Prémontrés; the Gothic church Saint Martin and Saint Laurent, and at random from the streets of downtown beautiful Renaissance facades like the mint, which houses the museum Au Fil du Papier.