The village is mentioned Petitmagny from 1427. It then depended Étueffont Netherlands and therefore the lordship of Rosemont. At the time, the village was designated as the "signal Maigny" and what was then a farm. Other houses were built in the same place in 1577, the old name will disappear to make way, in titles, that of Petit Magny.
The village was built on the sunny side of the Vosges Mountains at the foot of Faye (915 m) on the road which was originally a Roman road linking Langres in Strasbourg, bypassing the mass from the south.