This small town, with its town hall, church, restaurant and guesthouse is located near the mouth of the Oyapock on Ouanary creek. Can only be reached by river or air ( private plane, small airfield campaign ). It is a little piece of paradise set in lush greenery on the hillside. At the top of the latter is the relay stations that can be seen from far away and can be a walk (the view is spectacular on the mouth, the Oayapock and forest). Other routes are also possible but are all to do with as a guide locals. You can get to the waterfalls, the prison on the Silver Mountain.
The history of the town is primarily due to a strong Indian presence - Yao and Galibis. Then the French and the English fought the region. In 1726, the Jesuits created a mission to evangelize the Indians. These, in view of the battles between the English and French, flee and replaced by African slaves. At the end of the eighteenth century, the Swiss engineer Guisan develops the concept of polders (land diked, drained ) on the lowlands. Two large houses were built: one at the foot of Mount Lucas ( sugar cane), opposite the present town, and the other on the Silver Mountain. In 1948, the abolition of slavery, the plots are given to slaves. He settled on the slash : the birth of Ouanary. In 1949, the town was erected in town.
Silver Mountain, access is easier in the dry season. By 1850, the prison administration built a prison.