City millennium marked by prominent figures such as the earls of Orsay, builders of the Quai d'Orsay in Paris, General Moreau, the Dandy of Orsay, Charles Péguy, the Nobel laureate Pierre et Marie Curie, Frederic Joliot and Irene Curie, Alfred Kastler, Pierre-Gilles de Gennes, Orsay is ideally located 25 km south-west of Paris, into the verdant valley of Chevreuse. Cradle of Tourist pluricommunal she enjoys a privileged location. Hall of Fame has been built in 1801 to celebrate the end of the revolutionary wars.
It is served since 1854 by a railroad, now the RER B line, which leads to the airport Roissy Charles de Gaulle via Paris. An extensive road network allows visitors quick access.
Orsay integrates its territory important campus of the Faculty of Sciences of the University Paris-Sud with its 27 000 students, teachers and researchers. Populated by rare plant species, the park is now ranked Park Botanical France. The ALICE particle accelerator used by the team Juliot Frederic and Irene Curie, is a monument near the proton therapy center where they treat cancers of the retina.
The proximity of an exceptional scientific environment earned him worldwide fame. Community life, arts and culture is intense, with the National School of music and dance, the history committee of local and surrounding Orsay (CHLOE), the Cultural Center of Greater Bouvêche and Space Jacques -Tati.
Office of Tourism Valley of Chevreuse
Built on the edge of Yvette, the Office of Tourism has replaced an old washing. The architect restorer has reused the frame to create this new building. This building was one of the two laundries that framed the bridge avenue du Maréchal Joffre. The laundry was performed directly in the Yvette. In 1951 there remained at Orsay a washerwoman.
Address: 17 rue de l'Yvette.
The railway bridge on the Mall:
Built in 1867 to link Paris to Limours, this work of art is located between the station and the Bank of Orsay city. To reduce the cost of its construction, an embankment has been established on part of the hospital Orsay near. This bridge does so with three arches, barrel vaults arched. The shell is gritstone and sandstone, local materials.
Address: Rue de l'Yvette.
The artesian wells:
It's a well where water rises spontaneously. It is named after the region where this phenomenon has been highlighted, Artois. This well was drilled in 1931 to supply water to the city, whose population was rapidly increasing. From an altitude of 58 m, the drilling reached the aquifer at -565 m and continues until 655 m depth. The water spurted to 31.4 ° C temperature at 29 ° C.
Address: Rue de l'Yvette.
The lake Mail:
The lake Mail demonstrates the presence at that location, one of the two basins forming the ends of the canal Castle Orsay. The mail was a promenade lined with trees. In 1901, the district's Mail, which corresponded to the castle garden, welcomes new villas.
Address: Rue de l'Yvette.
Domaine de Launay and Université Paris-Sud 11th:
The domain name refers to the former presence of alders. The place is mentioned for the first time in the 12th century, in the cartulary of the Abbey Longpont. The priory of Sainte-Catherine du Val-des-Schoolboys had few possessions in the 13th century. In the 16th century priory in fee makes the mill and the land surrounding it, and entrusts to Peter Miller Poussepin. In the 18th century, the area has a windmill, a castle "in Italian, a chapel, farm buildings and a dovecote. In 1955, the University of Paris bought the land on which to relocate its scientific unit. The area of the University Paris-Sud XI, with over 200 hectares, is developed on the joint Orsay and Bures-sur-Yvette. Framed by vegetation, buildings of limited height now fit perfectly into the landscape. The Chateau de Launay, rebuilt at the turn of the 20th century in the neoclassical style, is now the seat of the presidency of the University. Near the two entrance pavilions, remain in the West Mill, and east of the farm buildings.
Location: Entrance located between Avenue de Lattre de Tassigny and Jean Teillac.
The station Orsay City:
The station Orsay city was opened in 1867 in an operation along the Paris-Limours. The first station was built at the Bank in 1854 before being decommissioned in 1899 and moved to protests from residents. The railroad served the evening, bringing the production of horticulturists and gardeners to the halls of Paris, or that of paves quarried nearby. The Parisians have also used this means of transportation to establish their second home in the countryside. In 1938-39, electrification of the line reduces travel time from 52 to 29 minutes, thereby increasing the influx of new residents. The station is in the form of a core of three levels housing the reception, docked wing lower side.
Location: boulevard Dubreuil.
Republic Square, streets of Chartres, JL Archangel, Paris, L. Scocard:
The site is located at the crossroads of ancient routes crossing Orsay. The latter allowed to go to Paris, Chartres, Versailles and Montlhéry.
Rue Jean-Louis Archangel was pierced in the 18th century at the instigation of the lord of Orsay, who moves the priory to clear the area around the castle.
The earliest settlement grew south of the castle and church, along the streets of Paris and the current street Fellow.
Since the late 19th century, many traders settled along these waterways. They included the farrier, blacksmith, saddler, harness maker, cafes and restaurants, grocery stores ... while outflows city saw the construction of townhouse.
The creation of the national 118 and 188, in the 70s helped to decongest the main roads of the city center.
The Great Bouvêche:
The Farm Great Bouvêche was Deputy Castle Orsay by Boucher in the 16th century. However, the buildings except the towers are after. Its name stems from the presence of beef attached to this farm. Three areas were the square Bouvêche. To the west lies the small Bouvêche whose buildings were organized around a courtyard. They counted a barn, the cooler and the kennel. At the center of the area around the main courtyard, were prepared the house, barns, and at right angles, the barn facing the "roofs pigs" at the well. Finally, the face of the house, with its towers, overlooking the third area consists of a garden. Of all the buildings that will remain the home, the sink and the door wagon, earthenware.
The Great Bouvêche welcomes today the André Malraux Cultural Center.
Location: 71 rue de Paris.
The church of Saint-Laurent Saint-Martin:
Founded in 1151 by Abbey Longpont, Orsay the church has undergone many changes. A choir of three bays with flat bed, flanked by chapels, opens with a nave of five bays, flanked by aisles. The pillars supporting the tower are the oldest part dating from the early 13th century. The nave was rebuilt after a fire caused by the mercenaries of Turenne during the Fronde. The facade, meanwhile, was rebuilt in the 18th century by Pierre Gaspard-Marie Grimod, Count Orsay in the neo-classical pediment and pilasters. His recount is typical of churches built since the reform-cons. Its steeple, covered with a gable roof, is characteristic of Hurepoix steeples.
Location: Street Scholar and Avenue du Marechal Foch.
La Maison des Associations
The house was built in the second half of the 19th century on the site of the castle. It was built in the 15th century at the instigation of Ragui Raymond, who had acquired the manor. Owned by Boucher in the 17th century, the castle was then composed of four main buildings of sandstone, arranged around a courtyard. In the 18th century, the family Grimod Fort embellished the castle, embellishing a vast landscaped park. Its ends corresponded to the current location of the cemetery and the lake on the Mall. Sold as a national revolution, the castle has been gradually destroyed. Dependencies welcome today's library. The pond, close, remember the location of the moat.
Location: Avenue du Marechal Foch.
Built in 1873, the Town has been leaning in 1900 a girls' school and a school for boys. It is a building of neo-classical style, with pilasters in front, the decorative use of pediments, or its Mansard roof. Under the lantern crowning the building, the pediment has a barometer.
Location: Avenue du Marechal Foch.
Hall of Fame:
The temple was built in 1801 at the instigation of the husband's family from General Republican Jean-Victor Moreau, to celebrate the return of peace, after his victory against the Austrian army to Hohenlinden. The architect Pierre Vignon inspired the church works with its Palladian portico with Ionic capitals, topped by a pediment. This same architect who built later, at the request of Napoleon, the Hall of Fame dedicated to the Great Army, today the church of the Madeleine in Paris.