The geographical location of Montpon-Ménestérol actually a privileged city. Indeed, you are close to the forest of the Double, which, with its lush landscapes and ponds you will discover nature while indulging in hiking. Tranquil river Isle offers many ideal places for fishing.
You are in the land of gastronomy: the "greedy" and "foodies" will go from producers to feast on foie gras, confit, magret. And why not come fall, from looking tasty porcini.
The vineyards of Bergerac and the prestigious Saint-Emilion appellation are nearby. With the A89, discover Bordeaux and the Atlantic coast in 1 hour drive. City Montpon-Ménestérol is also the sweetness of life in the countryside, the quiet.
With an area of 4,634 ha, the common Montpon-Ménestérol has approximately 5,600 inhabitants. It is the largest in the township. Consists of 8 municipalities belonging to the district of Périgueux, it is located at the border of the department of Gironde and spreads over an area of 22,495 hectares for a population of almost 10,000 inhabitants.
The relief of the territory Montpon-Ménestérol is largely marked by its hydrography. It was during the Quaternary was born Isle descending the Massif Central and widened its valley since.
The center of Montpon and Menestrol located along the river are relatively flat. Then away from the river north and south, one enters a hilly area delineating watersheds Isle. The relief is locally greater, from very low altitudes at altitudes exceeding 100 m as is the case south of the town. Although located in the Périgord Blanc, the territory has not Montponnais las fundamental geological features namely a Cretaceous limestone soil. It belongs more to the landscape of the Double northern town and Landais to the south.
The geology is characterized by large tracts of Tertiary deposits, waste alteration of the Massif Central (soft limestone). The clays in these soils, as well as low gradients allowed since the Middle Ages, the creation of many ponds still very present. The soils are relatively poor, agriculture is predominant and the forest has been widely develop (oak, chestnut).
Ménestérol was once an independent municipality, meeting in Montignac. The three municipalities were merged in 1964 to form one single: Montpon-Ménestérol-Montignac.
The name of the town is noted in the 12th century in two romanized forms first in "Castrum" (castle) of Montpao in 1170. The Anglicized form of Montpont appears in the 19th century, then Montpon-sur-Isle, Montpont became Montpon not to be confused with a city in Saône-et-Loire.
Montpon may result from the combination of Occitan "mountain" came from the Latin "mons" and pau, Peacock "Peacock" from Latin pavo, pavonis.
Ménestérol was once an independent municipality, meeting in Montignac. The name appears at the end of the 11th century: "Monesteirol" then "Monestayrol".
The name comes from the Latin down "monasteriolum" (small monastery). Ménestérol belongs to a series of place names formed from the name of a religious building.
The name of Montignac is attested in the 13th century and represents a name of Gallo-Roman person.
Since the construction of the fortified town of Montpon, the boundaries between the parishes of Montpon and St Martial d'Artenset were formed by the stream of Chavat which served fluke particularly difficult to overcome. Currently, the stream runs through the center of the town of Montpon. There were two chapels Montpon located in the town. They were acquired by the government during the revolutionary period, then demolished for the opening of the "new cross" which was built in the early 1800s. The main chapel was to be that of the noble house built by Alain d'Albret in the early 14th century that was called Castle Montpon. This chapel was to find the place of the 3 Brothers Laplagne. The other chapel of St Roch was to be found in the entrance of Montpon coming from Bordeaux in the neighborhood that still bears the name of the saint in the vicinity of the current post.
The entrance to the town of Montpon the door of Libourne in 1827 was in the present town of Montpon crossing the "road of the Isle" which, on the left bank down to the Isle, and on the right the path that ran along the walls of the city and now goes to the church to join the road to Ste Foy passing behind the town hall. This path must be the primary path to Périgueux Bordeaux before the opening of Highway 89. He skirted the town of Montpon. After crossing the road to Ste Foy coming out of the fortified town by the door of the same name further north to spend in what even the ancient settlement of Sérailler. In 1827 the dilapidated city walls were still standing, the church not yet built, it will be in 1834.
In 1889, the centenary of the French Republic is marked Montpon by erecting a bust of the Republic. This bust cast placed on his column is place Gambetta.
The Charterhouse of Vauclaire was founded in the 14th century. The English Catholics disputing the empire of the world, the factions of the aristocracy in 1614, the rebels of democracy in 1795, all the monks were ruthless. They hunted and massacred each other. In times of devastation succeeded periods of splendor. It was in front of the abbey a tray for personal use so that the Carthusians can visit their land. The son of Bruno ransomed Abbey Vauclaire in 1858, taking the tradition of the place. In the early 20th century, the Carthusians had begun the construction of a concrete bridge to replace the ferry; they do not have time to finish before being hunted. In 1905, a sectarian government expel the Carthusians of their abbey, they will be banned, their property will be sold. During the 14-18 war, chartreuse Vauclaire be organized in hospital by the U.S. Army. Later, it will be enlarged and transformed into a psychiatric hospital.
The castle of Puy-Chalus stood on a steep hill and clear. Many pottery and coins have been found in the ruins there 100 years. Several medals with the effigy of the Emperor Probus, registered at the Academy of Bordeaux, did admit that the oppidum Puy-Chalus was built under the Emperor (a small Gallo-Roman lamp was found in 1891 at Puy-Chalus Mr. Barbancey then mayor of Montpon). Heights where he stood, he watched, besides the hallway near the Isle, a huge tangle of hills that border region was because of the British occupation, the most contested. The castle was sacked by the English late fourteenth. There is nothing left now Roman "oppidum" became feudal fortress.
Suzanne Henriette Foix Candalle well known personality Montpon have founded a hospital to 1688 would have been around the Town Hall. She held the title of Dame Montpon and remained at the head of the lordship of Montpon 1671 to his death in 1706. She was born at the Château de Gurson in 1618 and died in his castle Montpon. The city virtually nothing is known of his castle, known only by tradition, supported by a few stone ruins, the castle was located Montpon to the current city center, on the left side of the 89 national, near bridge under which passes the rill Chavat, near the river. Modern houses, built on a portion of its location based on these ancient foundations very recognizable. There are track and direction of underground become clogged, along the direction of the creek under the road from the main road upstream and downstream probably communicating with the River Isle.
Until 1801, the town of Montpon was a section of the parish of Menestrol. When it was erected in town, the Municipal Council concern in 1820 to provide the community of a new church and rectory; the construction of the church dedicated to Our Lady of the Assumption will take place from 1833 to 1836. In 1848 the nave provided a steeple was extended to the west chapel. After 1912, used woodwork will be replaced by windows. It has an organ built in 1840 by an unknown factor.
The church is dedicated to St Menestrol Pierre-Es-links. Parish including Montpon under the old regime, attached to Montpon locality erected in common with the revolution, separate Montpon established and common full-fledged in 1864, attached to Montpon of 1964 again. Protected as a historic monument since 1926. This church has an organ built in 1978 in a North-German aesthetic.
The Church of Montignac, built in 1554, fell into disrepair and was rebuilt by Abbot Gouzot in 1857. Next to the church stands a mysterious conical mounds, oral tradition refers to it as "the tomb of Waïffre" (Duke of Aquitaine who fought against Pepin to keep Aquitaine in the 8th century. L location mark the place where the Duke died).
Sources: Montpon-Ménestérol Perigord by Marc Chassaing / Churches of Ribéracois by Jean Secret / dictionary of place names of Perigord by Tane Chantal and Christian Hordé / La Chartreuse de Vauclaire by Abbot Gouzot.