Tourism, holidays & weekends guide in the Val-d'Oise
Presumed origin of the name "Montmagny" On the origin of the name of the town, the sources are desperately needed, and opinions differ. Some authors see it as a Latin origin, other Celtic or even Scandinavian. So let us present some hypotheses to try to elucidate the origin of the name Montmagny. According to sources, the name of Montmagny come from the Latin phrase Magniacus Mons. The word designates Mons prominence, that is a mountain. Indeed, the Butte Pinson - as it is now called - dominated much of the town's wooded hills. But according to some Archivists, specialists in ancient texts, the word Mons may also appoint a place inhabited or cultivated, which could be the case Montmagny since ancient times. The word Magniacus, it could be derived from another Latin phrase meaning "beautiful", itself derived from magnus meaning "great". From there, Mons Magniacus could then mean "property of the Magnificent," might have to wear as a local lord with lands on the present territory of Montmagny. This is a first hypothesis. Robert Bethencourt-Devaux, the first essayist to have published a study on Montmagny, dares to suggest a Scandinavian origin. According to him the invaders from the north would have occupied the current Butte Pinson at major invasions precipitated the fall of the decadent Roman empire. It is true that this strategic position offered a unique perspective on Lutetia (ancient name for Paris) to prepare for his invasion. This hypothesis should be considered with great caution since the author does not cite any reliable source that can support it. In addition, no archaeological evidence was unearthed on the hill Pinson to substantiate this thesis. Maurice Gachelin, also author of a book on the history of Montmagny, is more reserved about the interpretation that can be drawn from old names carried by the municipality. The Latin origin of the name it seems more likely. He said Mons Magniacus, as can be read in a document of the 11th century, means land between two hills cultivated since Mons can be translated as "hill" and Magniacus by "field". Obviously, none of the assumptions made so far is compelling enough for lack of sufficient and perfectly reliable sources. So if you have long believed that Montmagny means "Great Mountain" is due to a mistranslation that was a monk in the 13th century the word Montmagni he took to be derived from a Latin phrase meaning Mons Magnus literally "Big Mountain". This error was revealed in 1883 by Father Lebeuf, author of a 1883 history of the city and throughout the diocese of Paris. René and Marie-France Cochelin Lecuire also report this error in translation in their book taken from the monograph of a former teacher magnymontois. By studying the few medieval sources mention the name of Montmagny, we find that the spelling evolved over time, losing his Latin-sounding in favor of a more French language support. In montem Magniacum or Monte Magniaco in the late 11th century through Monmagnie in 1243, we arrive at Monmeignia in 1293 to reach Montmegnie in 1308. In medieval documents undated and studied by Hippolyte coachmen, author of a dictionary of names of former municipalities of Seine-et-Oise, there are also other spellings: Mommegina, Mommegnia, Mons Menia, Montmeignia. The current spelling appears to finally win the twilight of the Middle Ages. The oldest document preserved in the municipal archives, the parish register of 1550, contains the name of Montmagny in the spelling we know today.
The arms of the municipality: The emblem of the city of Montmagny has an origin more recent than the name of the town. Indeed, 4 December 1943, the City Council formally charged Robert Lasne, a former council employee, to conduct research on the history of Montmagny to propose a draft shield. Society of Friends of documentation from the National Library was also put to use. The incomplete state of the sources does not know the results of his research or whether it was able to offer an outline of coat of arms. We only know that in January 1945 Robert Lasne perceived substantial compensation in lieu of the work. The shield has certainly be used after the war as it appears on a print preserved in the 1949 municipal municipal archives. The heraldic description of the coat of arms Montmagny is: "Gold in the face Azure three wheels of the spur of the field, accompanied by three groups of cockroaches gules, with the border also Gules charged with eight peonies money ". If the creation of the communal coat is new, however it is based largely on the family coat of arms Huault, a native of Touraine, many lords presided over the destiny of Montmagny. An important graphic element, not on the crest of Huault, an implicit reference to the agricultural traditions of the 20th century magnymontoises: peonies. The walls and the three crenellated towers surmounting the shield could evoke the ancient castle of Montmagny. Finally, it is not at all certain that the Latin motto appearing on the coat of arms - Acta non verba (deeds, not words) - is that of the family Huault. It is a fairly common currency that several noble families wore for centuries in many regions. The coat of arms Huault also served as a model for the Montmagny City, Quebec, which was founded by Charles Huault and whose motto is "Forward".
Famous people of Montmagny or have marked its history:
Suzanne Valadon (painter): After starting the circus, Suzanne Valadon (1867-1938) became the model for many painters including Degas, Renoir and Toulouse-Lautrec. While posing, she observed their technique and then begins to make itself its own tables as well as still lifes, landscapes and nudes. Perfectionist nature, she is able to work several years on the same table before exposing. In the 1890s, his first exhibitions rely mostly portraits, including that of Erik Satie. Accordingly, it is experiencing some success and start living his art. Free spirit and whimsical, she collects lovers. One of them will give him a son with whom she lived a few years Montmagny and become a world-renowned painter Maurice Utrillo. Married in 1896 with a stockbroker, she abandons in 1909 in favor of a young Adonis, André Utter, with whom she has a relationship as tumultuous as durable. Having lived much of his art and won recognition as his peers and the public, she died in 1938. In 1958, the Rue du Bois Montmagny surname changed in favor of that of Suzanne Valadon.
Maurice Utrillo (painter): Son of Suzanne Valadon and belatedly recognized by lovers of her mother, Maurice Utrillo (1883-1955) quickly abandons the school to devote himself to a demon who will accompany him to his death drink. Trying in vain to divert him from the bottle that makes it psychologically unstable, his mother taught him to paint while in Montmagny. The young man then surveyed the town he immortalized on canvas the streets, the countryside, career, church and recreational facilities of the Butte Pinson. A vocation was born. Therefore, he continues to paint landscapes of the suburbs and Montmartre, between fits of madness that led him to the asylum. Often plagiarized, he produced thousands of paintings and manages to live off the painting from the 1930s. As his mother, he is successful in his lifetime, even receiving the Cross of the Legion of Honor. In 1953 he married Lucie Valore who will look after his health and his career until his death in 1955. Unclassifiable artist forever associated with Montmartre, it leaves an important work exhibited in Paris as well as London, New York, Tokyo ... and even Sannois where a museum dedicated to him. In 1958, his name was given to an avenue of Montmagny.
General Leclerc (Military): Always associated with the liberation of the country, General Leclerc (whose real name Philippe François Marie, Comte de Hauteclocque, 1902-1947), enjoys extraordinary popularity for a soldier, this explains that his name be worn by many streets and squares of France. But it left an even more important Montmagny since one of its detachments second DB liberated the common 27 August 1944 after bitter fighting at the height of the mound Pinson where he set up his command post. This unit remained confined to Montmagny two weeks, including the seminar, and several of his men returned after the war magnymontoises marry. Leclerc himself returned in 1947 to preside over a ceremony of remembrance at the spot where the town will build a monument to his glory in 1953. In a final tribute, the town gave its name to a villa. As for the place of the hall, it became the place of the Leclerc Division.
Robert Fuller, Jean Missouti, Roger Keel (resistant): During World War II, young Magnymontois accomplished acts of resistance they paid with their lives, such as Robert Fuller, aged 17, executed June 11, 1944 in Hautes-Pyrenees. Missouti Jean and Roger Keel, averse Compulsory Work Service in Germany, engaged in the Riflemen and French partisans and took part in various covert actions. Roger Keel, which we know the best route, attacked a German bus in Paris in January 1943. Then he participated in several train derailments, including Franconville and Saint-Ouen-l'Aumône. After a betrayal, they were both arrested on 14 and 15 January 1944, imprisoned in the Fresnes prison, and shot June 2, 1944 in Mont-Valerian with eleven of their peers. Immediately after the Liberation, the City Council decided to honor his three heroes of the resistance by giving their names to the streets of the town.
Charles Grimaud (martyr of the Liberation): Charles Grimaud was living with his family in a house on the Butte Pinson which was occupied by a few years and Suzanne Valadon Maurice Utrillo, both artists of international renown. The fate of this young Magnymontois toppled during the Liberation. On August 26, 1944, in retaliation for several attacks in the area by the Resistance, a German detachment stationed on the hill Pinson locked civilian hostages in the ballroom of coffee Daubercies (now the Pony Club). On both the German and French, the tension was at its height, particularly because of the imminent arrival of the troops of liberation. Skirmishes took place near the redoubt of the Butte Pinson, between resistant and German soldiers. It was during this period of extreme confusion that the young Charles Grimaud was killed, with another companion in misfortune. The flag of his family was destroyed with grenades by the occupation troops, burying three people who escaped death by the intervention of firefighters Montmagny. In memory of this sad episode, the name of Charles Grimaud, who was killed on the eve of the liberation of the town, was given not only to a street but also at the municipal stadium built after the war. His father, André Grimaud, was mayor from 1945 to 1965 Montmagny.
André Peytavin (politician): André Peytavin (1926-1964), born in Romania, spent part of his childhood in his mother Montmagny officiated as secretary of the council, in addition to being a teacher in Grief-la-Barre . The young Peytavin continued a brilliant student and became a veterinary medicine. He officiated in Africa and directed including the renowned biochemistry laboratory physiological and medical Hann. He entered politics early and joined the MRP (Popular Republican Movement which also belonged Abbé Pierre). In 1957, the proposal of the president and poet Leopold Sedar Senghor, he became finance minister of Senegal, only 31 years. It was the first European to hold this position in a country of Black Africa after decolonization. A few years later, he opted for Senegalese nationality in order to demonstrate its commitment to this country for which he assiduously devoted besides. Educated man and a lover of the French language, he campaigned for the United Nations for the use of French as a working language in international organizations as well as English. After his death the street from the plant of the field was almost débaptisée to bear his name. Although the project was proposed to City Council May 19, 1964, there was no action unless we are to know the reasons.
Finally, of all these personalities, we must above all remember to Montmagny Huault Charles, who was the first acting governor of New France (Canada). Charles Huault of Montmagny is from a family from the region of Azay-le-Rideau, Touraine, whose ancestry dates back to the noble reign of Philip the Fair. Most of the ancestors of Charles Huault important functions - including the judiciary - and both enjoyed a solid reputation and significant revenues. The Huault, whose name comes from their stronghold of Huauldière, in the 17th century have many areas in the Ile-de-France: Bussy-Saint-Martin, Mourning, Epinay Groslay, Mesnil-Aubry, Montreuil, Saint-Brice , Sarcelles and Vaires. In 1448, they took the oath of allegiance to Montmorency - which they remain linked to the extinction of the line in 1699 - for the land they owned to Montmagny and surrounding areas. Charles Huault, known in Paris March 11, 1601, likely as a child going to Paris where his father officiating, punctuated by trips to Castle Montmagny. From 1610 to 1618, he followed the teaching of the Jesuit college of La Fleche, Sarthe, with his older brother, Adrian. This passage from the Jesuits is important to understand the meaning that Charles Huault give his life and his career. Indeed, the Jesuits emphasize to their students the need to serve God and to perform actions honorable and disinterested. Throughout his life, Charles Huault will show great piety and will seek to defend Christianity, illustrated by its entry into the Order of Malta in which he will never seek to enrich themselves. Moreover, increasing the Jesuits missions to evangelize the peoples distant in both Asia and America. So when Charles Huault began studying at the college of La Flèche, a Jesuit community settled in Paraguay, another in Acadia. He also meets a priest returning from North America with whom he forged links. These examples will certainly influence the fate of the young man by spending his entire career outside France, the Mediterranean first, then in Quebec, the West Indies last. On leaving college in 1618, Charles Huault spent several months in Paris before enrolling in 1619 at the Faculty of Law, University of Orleans, following the model family. There is only eleven months, long enough to become a lawyer. But his legal training would certainly serve him in his future career Quebec director. Finally, like other young French people of his time and his rank, he made a journey of discovery in Italy between 1620 and 1621, probably for religious and cultural reasons. On 1 July 1622, Charles Huault sealed his fate by leaving Paris to win the island of Malta to join the Order of St. John of Jerusalem. Founded in 1060 in the original purpose of caring for Christian pilgrims to the Holy Land, then under Muslim rule, the religious order became militarized after the capture of Jerusalem by the Crusaders in 1099 to help defend the newly conquered territory. After the loss of the Holy Land for the Christians in 1291, the Order left Jerusalem and moved to Cyprus and Rhodes and finally Malta. It is then a powerful navy to protect Christian interests in the Mediterranean. The Order of battle including the Barbary pirates based in North Africa, Tripoli, Libya, in Sale, Morocco, that merchant ships and ransom the slave trade practice. In the 17th century, many noble French families of cadets enrolled in the Order of Malta to participate in "caravans" of maritime expeditions to destroy the Barbary. To enter this prestigious order in which seats are coveted, Charles Huault must undergo a long and thorough investigation. The report made by the investigators, who visited Montmagny to hear character witnesses, confirmed the antiquity of the noble descent of Huault. Allowed to enter the Order, Charles Huault arrived in the port of Valletta, Malta, August 3, 1622, and began her novitiate. He then gave her three wishes rituals of the knight, "poverty, chastity and obedience", he will respect all his life. As soon entered the Order of Malta, Charles Huault following a one-year training combines several disciplines: religion, medicine, warfare and navigation, the history of the College and study its rules. In 1623, Charles Huault part in his first "trailer" on behalf of the Order of Malta and thus begins his career as a "privateer for Christ" (in the words of the Quebec historian Jean-Claude Dubé, author of an excellent book about Charles Huault). From 1623 to 1636, he spent 114 months at sea and participated in five races and two caravans. In 1626, Charles Huault bought his first ship, a stage-coach by the name of St. John the Baptist, probably a two-masted fast and flexible to handle therefore particularly suitable for the race war. Party of Malta at the beginning of September 1626, he returned around Christmas, it seems, therefore loot. Encouraged by the success of his first expedition, Charles Huault in preparing a new, larger if we judge by the borrowing. Party of Malta in April 1627, he returned victorious to the end of the summer are to believe Michel Baudier (1589-1645), soldier turned historian, author of an inventory of the general history of the Turks. In this book appeared in 1631, he brought the naval victory of Charles Huault in grandiose terms: "A Bassa [Pasha] with three galleys and six vessels meeting at fifty leagues from Alexandria a ship commissioned by the Malta Knight Montmagny Parisien , fought him for five hours without power to the ship departed on its face in the middle of his galleys, and won in Malta, the honor and the spoils he had acquired over the Turks. " Behind this story colorful hides a reality less epic: it is true that the battle seems to have occurred 150 nautical miles north of Alexandria, probably August 6, 1627, and that Charles was unhurt in Huault This is certainly not without adverse consequences financially. Indeed, on his return he fails to repay debts to creditors, some of which 44 threaten to lead to justice. This fact certifies that it has not won a race of his booty. Nevertheless, the feat of Charles Huault remains a feat. It has resisted a numerically superior enemy and bring his ship safely, though very spoiled Maltese according to sources. This exploit will be known in France and will contribute to changing the career of Charles Huault significantly. Indeed, in the 17th century, France is suffering from a delay in two areas: its navy and its ability to expand trade with its colonies. To remedy this situation, Cardinal Richelieu relies Razilly Isaac, Knight of the Order of Malta. It calls for establishing colonies in America in particular, and to establish trading companies to monopolies. On April 29, 1627, Richelieu founded the Company of New France in order to colonize the French possessions in North America and to organize the trade for the benefit of the metropolis. To achieve its ambitious mission, the Society of New France needs men experienced, courageous, accustomed to command and experience of navigation. So it's no coincidence that Sir Charles Huault entered service in 1632 as his experience in the Order of Malta is the man for the job. Soon, Charles Huault becomes a director of the Company. However, retaining the service in Malta, he can actively participate in the operation of the Company. Also, June 11, 1634, he received the Grand Master of the Order of Malta for permission to return to France. It will not stay long because Canada will join the following year. Since 1619, the command of New France was headed by Samuel de Champlain, Lieutenant de Richelieu. The news about his health are hardly reassuring, the Company of New France offers Richelieu to replace Charles Huault of Montmagny. This is the first named acting governor of New France 15 January 1636. Arrived in Quebec June 11, 1636, he went to church where they sing the Te Deum is then immediately handing the keys of Fort St. Louis at the hands of Marc-Antoine Brasdefer Châteaufort. It must administer the territory is vast but sparsely populated: Quebec has only 320 inhabitants, including men of the Company, the Jesuits, soldiers, some artisans and peasants. As for the Indians, they are essentially nomadic easily countable: it is estimated their number at 100,000. The economy of the colony is not successful and is based primarily on the fur trade, mainly beaver. Agriculture is poorly developed due to the slow clearing. The first inspection tour of Charles Huault it measures the living conditions of the settlers and the work ahead. Climate stark contrast with that of the Mediterranean he was used: winter is cold and wet, and ice prohibits navigation on the river leading to Quebec, which prevents the supply from the ocean. Added to this is the hostility of Indian tribes increasingly urgent. So, back in Quebec, Charles Huault reorganized the military defense of the colony. It also takes a series of measures to revitalize the fur trade, the main source of income for the colony. Its action also covers the practice of religion is central to his life - he is known for his piety - and concerns. So is there efforts on peaceful evangelization of the Amerindians on the basis of the Jesuits. This long and tedious task, to which he is endeavoring earnestly, is told in writing that the Jesuits Relations from 1632 to account for their apostolic work in New France: they praise the efforts of Charles Huault for help them in their task. To assist the Jesuits, Charles Huault began to come to Canada for religious congregations. In 1639, two communities landed in France to attend to the welfare of both material and spiritual Native American and European populations: the Ursulines of Tours pipes and Augustinian Hospitallers. Same time, ensure strict compliance of religious practice among the settlers. Thus, only a week after his arrival in Quebec in 1636, he promulgated an order prohibiting, on pain of punishment, blasphemy and the lack of liturgical service. But Charles Huault is also a soldier. Also, just moved to Quebec, Charles Huault began to fortify the city and install a few outposts to prevent Indian attacks. It also seeks to establish cordial relations with neighboring tribes, including the Hurons, to grow as the fur trade to facilitate their evangelization. But from 1639, the Dutch began to trade guns to the Iroquois against beaver pelts. Guns give Iroquois, Huron rivals, a terrible military supremacy, as Charles French Huault prohibited from selling firearms to the Hurons. In 1640, the French settlers clash with the Iroquois seems inescapable: they have committed acts of cannibalism against missionaries they had captured. In 1641, strong support Dutch and in reaction against the evangelization of the Hurons, the Iroquois attacked the French and Algonquin allies at a place called Three Rivers. Charles Huault are forced to leave their positions skillfully. Then he built without their knowledge, in August 1642, a fort at the mouth of the Richelieu River, major traffic artery of choice for Iroquois, with the support of forty soldiers newly arrived from France. Confident of enjoying a terrible reputation, the Iroquois undertake the siege of this fortress. But the tenacity of the French defenders and Huron deters assailants eventually withdraw. This victory against the Iroquois, plus a few others, would have earned it the nickname Indian Onontio, which is the literal translation of Montmagny is to say, "big mountain" in Latin. The Iroquois, however, continue the war by committing a few raids in the camps Huron, primarily to kidnap women to make them slaves. In 1644, the regent Anne of Austria sent to Charles Huault sixty soldiers, twenty-two accompanying land Huron through the winter to ensure the supply of people and protect them against the Iroquois raids. Through its policy of economic partnership that develops along with some Native American tribes, Charles Huault contributes significantly to developing trade in New France. But in return for extending the liquor traffic that Charles Huault trying to ban because of the ravages of the drink product among American Indians whose body is not accustomed to withstand the harmful effects of alcohol. With the Iroquois, Charles Huault inaugurates a new era of diplomacy. It releases those he had captured in 1644 and invited them to come back whenever they want. It was not until 1645 that a delegation of Iroquois responds to his invitation. The reports are pacified, so that the two sides concluded a treaty of nonaggression in Three Rivers. The exchange takes place, missionaries are sent to the Iroquois. But the contact of the two civilizations is ultimately harmful: indeed the Europeans against their spread of diseases against which Indian agencies have no immune defense. Decimated by European germs, the Iroquois believed to be bewitched by demons and decide to take revenge. The murder of a priest in the fall announced the resumption of hostilities between the Iroquois, the French settlers and the Huron. They are virtually exterminated in 1648 when Charles returned to France Huault. In addition to his military Huault Charles did his best to administer the French colony. It must first "order for all men of war" on site "to maintain and keep trading" and to protect settlers on which it has the power to justice. It must also supervise the business activities on behalf of the Company of New France, and manage the administration of the colony. The task is immense for this knight of Malta more used to navigate and make war. Charles Huault combines all civilian and military, is surrounding himself with a few assistants in addition to its secretary and his lieutenants, because there are only a clerk and an attorney. He chairs the boards whose members are natives whom he continues to recommend to avoid war, increase the fur trade, and many receive the missionaries. It also undertakes the construction of fortifications to protect the settlers, religious and Company stores. He says the sketch plans of the upper town of Quebec Jean Bourdon, engineer surveyor. It Huault himself chose the name of the first streets of Quebec City where he transformed the Chateau St. Louis, home of the Governor, in a fortress of stone and brick with the guard. Finally, he organized the distribution of land to newly arrived settlers. In addition to his director, Charles Huault is undertaking important work of clearing near the Ile-aux-Geese on the St. Lawrence River. On May 5, 1646, he was granted by the Company of New-France owned by a site called the Rivière-du-Sud where he became the lord. His estate, which includes land surrounding the river, South Island and Ile aux Grues Geese, a league and a half in front for four deep. On September 28, 1646 is a lease between Charles and Jacques Boissel Huault.
The seminar late vocations Our Lady of Lourdes: Originally designed as a place of retreat, the former go hunting Dukes of Enghien is a seminar designed to train future priests. After a period of prosperity, the vocations crisis forced the diocese to leave the premises until the common Montmagny acquire to become a hub of cultural activities.
The Chapel of St. Theresa, by Auguste Perret (classified historic monument):
In 1926, Father Leo Garnier, pastor of Montmagny, Auguste Perret order to build a new church in the southern town urbanizing more and more. He decides to give him the name of St. Therese of Lisieux, appointed by Pope Pius 10th as the "greatest saint of modern times". The style adopted by Perret contrasts with that of his predecessors in the field of religious architecture as used reinforced concrete as the main material. Through the use of concrete and repetition of elements cast in advance in a limited number of molds, the chapel was built for a relatively low price for the time and size of the building.
The Chapel of St. Therese measure 36 meters long, 13 meters wide and 11 meters tall, the tower itself measuring 30 meters in height. The built area is 470 square meters. To prevent the building from sinking into the ground while very wet, Perret built a chapel on the concrete surface preventing water infiltration.
The nave of the chapel occupies almost the entire surface of the building. It has only a small number of support points made by eight columns connected by beams used Chaining. The walls of the nave are made of netting reinforced concrete square mesh filled with various geometric shapes: circles, triangles and especially cross. All forms of real windows that give an impression of lightness and offer the nave lighting was both clear and colored (blue and yellow). The chapel is covered with a thin flat roof which was in 1927 one of the outstanding and innovative features of this construction. Located in the projection of the main facade, the steeple is square. It rests in front on two main pillars, and back on a main beam that extends the load on the lateral columns of the nave. The upper tower is composed of shutter blades made of reinforced concrete.
Behind the nave, the building is extended by a larger rectangular building with a recess which houses the sacristy. It is illuminated by a line of perforated elements reminiscent of the side walls of the nave. The ceiling of the sacristy was originally topped by a skylight covered with sides were perforated. All accessory structures of the building are reinforced concrete, including the spiral staircase leading to the platform located above the porch. The clams, the font, the ancient gate of the choir (now defunct) and the balustrade of the gallery were also built of reinforced concrete and contain perforated form reminiscent of the motifs of windows.
The decor was done by Valentine Reyre artist symbolizing the renewal of religious art in France in the interwar period. The mural adorning the bottom of the chorus was originally composed of three panels painted with an entourage consisting of squares and decorated with a blue background with yellow markings on foliage. Fresco - now partly obscured - is in its central part the Crucifixion of Christ and St. Therese at the foot of the cross. Ten years after completion, Valentine Reyre realized the fourteen stations of the cross in shades reminiscent of those sometimes Fauvism, with a dominant red.
On April 5, 1993, the Association of Diocesan Pontoise, who was the owner, gave the chapel for one symbolic franc to the common Montmagny. Immediately, steps were taken by the Municipality with the Ministry of Culture to classify this building under the Historic Monuments in order to ensure sustainability. Currently, significant work is planned to consolidate the building that shows few signs of weakness.
The Church of St. Thomas:
The first chapel was built at the site of the present church around 1180, probably on the order of Bouchard, lords of Montmorency. In 1184, the Bishop of Paris devoted Parish Montmagny and dedicated to Saint Thomas of Canterbury. This early church, he would remain as the core Gothic steeple.
The church was allowed access in 1737 because it fell into ruin. Thanks to the generosity of Louis Henri de Bourbon, Prince de Conde, the church of St. Thomas Montmagny was rebuilt in 1740. The Prince de Conde had already shown a commitment to the parish of Montmagny attending the blessing of the new church bell, August 24, 1736. The memory of the Prince de Conde is always read through his coat of arms still adorns the side door of the church and accompanied the arms of the lords of Montmagny.
It was during the restoration work from 1740 that were found three gravestones now exposed at the back of the nave. They belong to two Huault knights, lords Montmagny, and a couple of vineyards. These tiles were restored in the 19th century by a masonry contractor Montmagny.
In 1875, work began to clean the building eroded by moisture. In 1876 the chancel floor was concrete and covered with a pavement "imitation of tapestry. In 1880 was laid a new wrought iron gate separating the choir from the ambulatory. Despite this work, the state of the church remained a concern. In 1884, architect Cailleux was chosen to lead new restoration. Work began Tuesday, April 15, 1884. They were entrusted to contractors in the region. The official laying of the cornerstone gave rise to a solemn blessing Saturday, May 10, 1884 at 7 o'clock in the morning.
It used to work masonry plaster quarries Montmagny located on the Butte Pinson, stones and bricks Montmorency hollow Sannois. Another technical feature is to be noted: the roofers have used a new kind of nail invented around 1864 helped to maintain each slate on all four sides. At the top of the tower was placed a rooster based himself on a cross of three meters high weighing 100 kg: it took eight men to climb to the top of the tower. A new clock made in the Oise was installed at the end of July 1884.
The new tower - raised by 6 meters - was inaugurated October 19, 1884, in the presence of the Municipal Council of the teacher, the vicar general of the priests of Grief, Groslay, Montmorency and Villetaneuse. A dozen musicians accompanied the choirs to sing a march composed specially for this occasion by Camille Prilipp. Finally, June 29, 1888 took place the laying of the new portal, restored thanks to support from the Conseil Général de Seine-et-Oise.
In the 1970s, significant work has been undertaken by the municipality to rehabilitate older homes located around the present site of Quebec. In one of them has been fitted the new vestry. Today, classical music concerts are given each year in this church.
The font elements are movable oldest church since they were built in the 17th century. Polychrome stone, they were originally placed at the bottom of the nave, near the entrance of the church. Over the centuries, pieces of furniture have disappeared: a lectern made in 1787 by Anthony Cassan and burned in 1884, an organ made by the workshop of John Abbey Versailles, several statues including those of Saint-Michel and Notre-Dame Lourdes, a harmonium sacked by the Prussians in 1871, the old pictures of the cross erected solemnly Sunday, August 12, 1860.
Fourth, the church of St. Thomas Montmagny has been immortalized in several paintings by Maurice Utrillo who spent several years on the town with her mother, Suzanne Valadon. Thus, this modest church valdoisienne is known to art lovers around the world since the paintings of Utrillo both in New York than in London or Tokyo.
La Redoute de la Butte Pinson:
At 108 meters above the village is plain Montmagny Butte Pinson, head of a long history of building a fortress hidden by thick vegetation, control architecture and military strategy of the late 19th century.
La Redoute of Butte Pinson is one element of a comprehensive program: the fortifications built after the 1870 war in defense of Paris and its suburbs. Included in the program developed by General Sere de Rivieres, its construction was completed in 1877 testifies to the quality of military architecture from the late 19th century. Located behind the strong Ecouen Stains and it controls the space between the Redoute of Butte Pinson completes the system, supplementing the monitoring of the surroundings of Saint-Denis since it provides a perspective view throughout the northern suburbs.
From the decree of May 10, 1875 ordering the expropriation for public use of land for the construction of fortifications, and the month of December 1877 marked the end of the work, it only took a little longer two years from 1 Combat Engineer Regiment to build the Redoute de la Butte Pinson, for a total of 347 544 gold francs. If all the buildings seem less important than the forts around the Redoubt nonetheless led the example of military architecture rigorous, robust and carefully designed.
The Redoubt was built on a trapezoidal plan, in the purest style of fortification system Sere de Rivieres, itself partly inspired by the work of Vauban. The face most exposed to the enemy - and therefore better protected - is located north-east, while it penetrates the walls of the building facing the south-west, opened in Paris. The size of the intramural Redoute is 2 hectares. If we add the gap, the slope and rise, its surface reaches the 5 acres. Originally, the garrison consisted of 151 soldiers, 7 officers and 144 enlisted men.
The ditches, broad 3 to 6 meters deep and 4 meters, are equipped with a scarp (slope inside) completely bricked and a counterscarp (outer slope) masonry only one third of its length. It was not until 1886 that the Corps is the counterscarp a wall 5 meters high. Surrounding the entire Redoute, these ditches are designed to slow the progression of the enemy and force him to discover assault case.
Located on the rear of the fort, one reaches the entrance to the Redoubt by a curved path, to protect the door blows in a row. Crossing the gap is through a simple non-covered bridge located on the least exposed face of the Redoubt south-west. A rudimentary gate marks the entrance of the fort itself. The simplicity of this entry stark contrast with other fortifications built at the same time. Indeed it was common to enter into such a strong retractable bridge followed by a monumental porch equipped with a defensive system and a reinforced door (sometimes sliding as Domont). A Montmagny, nothing remarkable architectural comes complete this ensemble or decor arch or pillar, or even the name of the Redoubt in stone as one can see or Ecouen Domont.
The gap can not be self-defense only access to the Redoubt, he was provided with two books called flanking caponiers. The bunkers are built low to the highlights of strong, deep ditch. Two other caponiers defend the entrance of La Redoute. These include caponiers embrasures for guns in visors or leading directly outside, embrasures of infantry rifles for close defense, slots up to throw grenades into the ditch. We do not know precisely the type of weapons were equipped with these caponiers. But we know that in all the strengths of the system Sere de Rivieres, they were equipped with cannons class 4, 5, 7 (before 1880) or 12 (after 1880) and machine guns. Finally caponiers are topped bench shooting linked to the barracks of the fort by a tunnel in an inclined plane.
At the time of construction of the Redoubt, the artillery firing was essentially tight. It should therefore dominate the territory that we should fight. The guns were open pit, located on the ridge overlooking the artillery over the fort. On the front, an earth parapet protected the enemy direct fire. They were surrounded on most sides by two embankments, called sleepers, which protected them from shrapnel and gunfire in a row. La Redoute has 8 ties, including 4 with shelter, spread over the entire rear of the barracks. The platform was protected firing shots from behind by the massive earth covering the barracks (hence its name parados). Under the so-called sleepers were shelters, many vaulted rooms that were used as ammunition depots shelter for the Gunners when enemy barrage. It is unclear exactly what types of guns were equipped with Redoubt. It just knows that when it was put into service, it was equipped with 13 pieces of wall, 4 mortars and 5 flanking parts. Most of the fortifications of the Sere River system were equipped with howitzers and cannons of various calibers (95 mm to 220 mm). Finally the defense of the redoubt was also carried by the infantry (foot soldiers on foot armed with rifles), which consists only of the troops stationed in the fort.
The magazine (or powder magazine) is placed under one of the 8 ties. It is a highly strategic and extremely dangerous because both are stored 10 tons of explosives Redoubt, all types of ammunition together. This closed room by two doors is constructed to isolate the best powder moisture and flame. To ensure maximum security, there was no direct lighting in this room whose floor was covered with earth. A kerosene lamp, equipped with reflector was located in a small room accessible only from the outside of powder magazine by a corridor which ran round. This was separated from the reduced powder magazine by a window fitted with thick glasses to allow light from the lamp to illuminate the inside of the magazine.
The hall itself is composed of 10 bunkers vaulted linked to the rear by a narrow corridor. The walls of the barracks are in rubble, only Frame openings, facing south, is in stone or brick red. It was customary to blanch the inner walls with lime in order to clarify the parts and make the most of the faint light from windows or lamps. On some walls you can still read the graffiti left by soldiers. The heating was chambered probably be provided by wood stoves or coal, due to a stove by bunker, located mid-length. The roof and rear are in turn completely covered with earth to protect the entire edifice of enemy projectiles. The vaulted casemates housed various premises, including the barracks of soldiers (rather than life and rest) but also stores service (90 m²) which included a kitchen and reserves, an artillery store (116 sqm), the troughs , latrines and a filter tank with a capacity of 104 m3. The water supply is provided by a pipeline to the reservoirs from wood of Richebourg nearby.
In 1902, the staff provides for one million gold francs to strengthen the defenses of the Redoubt Butte Pinson. But in 1911, it is excluded from the new program of modernization of defense strongholds in the country, unlike the fortifications of eastern France that are most exposed. After his inspection tour of the fortifications franciliennes, General Gallieni, responsible for the defense of Paris, suggested the government to leave the capital because it is under no illusions about the ability of the entrenched camp of Paris to retain the assault of 'German artillery as his defensive elements have not been upgraded in time.
During the conflict itself, the Redoute of Butte Pinson, placed on alert, do not participate in the defense of Paris. Indeed, having suffered heavy casualties near the Belgian city of Liege and Namur, the German troops are reluctant to mount an assault on Paris, the fortifications of the second ring playing to perfection their deterrent role. In anticipation of a new German offensive on the capital, La Redoute in the Butte Pinson is however equipped with a projector lens wide (90 cm wingspan) and especially two of 75 guns. In March 1918, the Redoubt becomes, with four additional 75 guns, the center of the 3rd battery of the 64th regiment of anti-aircraft artillery responsible amongst other things, defend the Le Bourget airport distant only 13 km as the crow flies .
If the strong component system Sere de Rivieres, become totally obsolete, played no role in May-June 1940 during the German invasion, their policy positions did not escape the Germans. Also, in 1940 the Germans installed a radar and anti-aircraft guns at the Redoute of Butte Pinson located at the intersection of two highways and that is to Le Bourget airport.
During the Occupation, the Redoute does not seem to play a role and people do not remember to have seen a resurgence of activity. But after the Liberation, Fort magnymontois becomes the object of attention, both local resistance as the allied troops. On the night of 26 to 27 August 1944, General Leclerc - to whom General de Gaulle to entrust the mission to liberate Paris and its region - gives his orders: the sub-group Massu, from the 2nd Armored Division, must take control side 101, that is to say Pinson mound and its Redoute which controls the access to and Pierrefitte Sarcelles via the national highway No. 1.
On August 27, 1944, the first elements of the vanguard of the 2nd Armored, based in the outskirts of Saint-Denis, set off to 13 hours. Stains from the 6th company of the Regiment walk from Chad commanded by colonel Massu tackles Redoute de la Butte Pinson occupied by the 105th regiment of grenadiers Germans. The German resistance is such that there is also several tanks and artillery, which performs three levels of gunfire on the Redoute. The fighting ceased at around 19 pm and a detachment of the 40th Artillery Regiment in North Africa took possession of La Redoute. During the heavy fighting, many French soldiers and local resistance are injured, 32 German soldiers were taken prisoner.
On August 28, General Leclerc holds a meeting at the command post located in the Redoubt with Massu and his deputies Langlade. The troops of the 2nd DB remain confined Montmagny several days before leaving the field. In memory of this glorious episode, a monument to the memory of General Leclerc and his troops was erected in 1953 at the intersection of Rue de Pierrefitte and rue Charles Grimaud.
Given the history of the Redoubt, it was ultimately never really played the role of defensive element of the capital, a mission that had originally been vested. It remains an iconic heritage magnymontois and French military architecture of the late 19th century.
Demilitarized after the Second World War by the Act of April 2, 1954 downgrading all military structures built between 1874 and 1918, the Redoubt Butte Pinson site was reclassified to test radar Dassault, continuing his aviation career began in 1919 with the opening of Le Bourget airport. A ministerial order in August 1931 to decommission part of the rise of the Redoubt and give it to the green fingers of inhabitants, and many gardens were established around the fort, a phenomenon that has been amplified.
La Redoute has made its complete transformation when it was bought in 1973 the Ministry of National Defense by the cities and Montmagny Pierrefitte, for the sum of 400 000 francs, in order to oppose a highway project from near the Butte Pinson.
Gradually, associations set up their equipment in the enclosure of the Redoubt, as the Brotherhood of St. Eugene Pitcher who reintroduced the wine on the slopes of the hill or "Shooting 360" which had a perfect training venue adapted bunkers offering shooting secure.
Nestled in the heart of Regional Park Butte Pinson under development, Redoubt then became the property of SIEABP - Intercommunal Union for the Study and Development of the Butte Pinsons (union grouping Montmagny, Pierrefitte Groslay and Villetaneuse).
For several years, under the auspices of SIEABP and with the support of the Solidarity Youth Association, youth groups have voluntarily undertaken to restore some elements of the Redoubt built to revive this historic and unique architectural, far from the warlike spirit that still inhabits this military work.
The old castle Montmagny (now defunct): There remains no vestige of the old castle Montmagny. It is possible to imagine the surface of this rich house and its location in the theoretical existing urban fabric through a stewardship plan to the 18th century preserved in the departmental archives of the Val-d'Oise. The main body of the house, reached by a staircase, was flanked to the east wing of a modest and west of a larger wing which had to lean against a long building forming an angle with the main body, and several outbuildings.
Events and festivities
Four young audiences per year, two in the first quarter, two in the fourth quarter.
"Montmagny, land art," art exhibition every year in January.
Medieval Festival annually in March on the Butte Pinson.
Exhibition each year as part of European Heritage Days.