Melun is a French commune located in the department of Seine-et-Marne and the Ile-de-France. Seat of the prefecture, is the third most populous city of the department after Chelles and Meaux. Its inhabitants are called Melun and Melunaises or rarely or Melunois Melodunois.
The first written evidence of the existence of the city dates back to Gaul, from 52 BC (Melodunum). Saint Savinien Aspais and preach the gospel to Melun from the third century. Its modern name dates from the 6th century and comes from the Latin Metlosedum. Clovis Melun student to the rank of duchy. The city then experienced a revival. His wealth causing some troubles such as Norman raids severely affecting the city. Here to include such raids 852 and 886.
In 991, with the complicity of the Vicomte de Melun, first Eudes of Blois seized the town belonged to Bouchard the Venerable, Count of Vendôme and Melun since his marriage to Elizabeth of Melun. Bouchard the Venerable, being a true king of France, an alliance was set up with the King of France, Hugh Capet, Nerra Fulk, son of Bouchard and Richard of Normandy, which first allowed the recovery of the city.
The early Capetian kings reside while often Melun Melun acquires a stone fortress located at the tip of the Ile Saint-Etienne (it will disappear definitively to 1833). When Abelard was expelled from Paris in 1102, that he just Melun continue his education. Robert II, King of France died in 1031 in the castle of Melun and his widow Constance of Arles, died there in 1032. The three parts of the city are then fortified in the late 12th century: St. Aspais north, the island of Saint-Etienne in central and south St. Ambrose. The fortifications completely disappear during the 19th century.
In the Middle Ages, Melun is the seat of a castellan. In 1420, Melun supports a memorable siege to the English and the Burgundians. Despite fierce resistance, starvation eventually cause the downfall of the city. The city also takes its motto Fides muris usque ad mature (in French: True to the walls to eat rats).
The department of Seine-et-Marne is formed March 4, 1790 by assembling parts of the Ile-de-France, Brie, Champagne and Gâtinais. Melun becomes his prefecture. The bridges over the Seine are reconstructed in the second half of the 18th century and the first half of the nineteenth. In 1944 the city suffered a retaliatory bombing of German. Many houses are destroyed. The Church of St. Aspais is very badly damaged: the tower was burned, destroyed the nave, the organ blown. Two other bridges and a penetrating were then made in the 1970s to allow better circulation in the city of Melun.
"Melun, city of history" is a footpath of steps consisting of 29 plates enamelled lava, affixed to the facades of buildings or inserted into desks. A pamphlet published in French and English will guide you through the city to show you, in full freedom, its history and monuments. On sale at the Tourist Office.
The Church of St. Aspais, the Notre-Dame, the priory of Saint-Sauveur, the square and the fountain Saint-Jean, Hôtel de Ville Hôtel des Cens, the bulwark of the Byzantine Empire, Heloise and Abelard, the Bridge to Mills, the Recollects, the furnace of the ride, the Abbey of the Holy Father, the Hotel de la Vicomte, the birthplace of Jacques Amyot ... Here are some of the 29 stages of the historical path and thus some of the monuments and historical sites of the city.
Among the ideas for getting out tours, cruises on the Seine, tasting local products, markets and shopping streets, Brie Day ...
Guided tours of the city are available from April to October on various topics. Registration and information at the Tourist Office Melun: Tel. : +33 1 64 52 64 52 - Email: @ office.tourisme city melun.fr
Ceramic sur Seine and its pottery market - Heritage Days - The Brie Melun Day - Easter Egg Hunt - Fireworks July 13 - Treasure hunt for children - Bargain garage sales - Wedding Fair - Salon seniors - Employment Forum - Book Fair and waste paper ...
ATTRACTIONS, LEISURES AND ACTIVITES AROUND
Château de Vaux-le-Vicomte - Château de Blandy-les-Tours - Collegiate Church of Champeaux - Castle and forest of Fontainebleau ...
For groups, the Tourist Office Melun offers a wide range of visits: historical, Vaux-le-Vicomte, industrial tourism, cruises on the Seine, discover the local products of Seine-et-Marne ...