Peninsula in the island with its 14 kilometers of coastline, bordered by the Atlantic, the Fier d'Ars and salt marshes, Loix has retained all the charm, tranquility and authenticity.
The town is a harmonious mosaic of 670 hectares of land and sea with its salt marshes, many abundance of flowers, fauna and flora, diverse and protected, and an architectural heritage preserved.
The Church of St. Catherine
The first church Loix mentioned as 1379, survived until the 19th century. In 1827, a part of the structure collapsed and the tower was no longer plumb. Brossard, La Rochelle architect, undertook the reconstruction and expansion of the church in 1830 and is perpendicular to the axis of the old building he built the new monument.
The pediment engraved with "Liberty, Equality, Fraternity": In 1905 the government decided the separation of church and state. Priests are no longer employees of the state and the law provides that property passes to local churches (the interview can not be guaranteed solely by alms of the faithful and the state reserves the cathedral). As churches become community buildings, the mayor's office has an obligation to maintain. Mayors zealous decided to put the Republican motto "Liberty, Equality, Fraternity" on the front of churches as well as being recorded on a municipal level.
For 1980 and 1984 the church was renovated and adorned with new windows created by Pentecost. Hanging from the ceiling of the nave an ex voto, model frigate polychrome wood, altar, tabernacle, altar and pulpit dated between 1830 and 1835.
The mill tidal Loix:
In the 17th century, this mill was the primary purpose "Moulange" flour. The building also served as the transition between the "Isle de Loye" and The Couarde.
The mill also allowed maintenance of the channel: the pool of sea water which is at high tide is retained. Thus, at low tide, the strength of the current cleans the access channel to the port. This principle is still used today to "hunt" the mud of the harbor.
Early nineteenth century, the production of salt was very important and is developing its transport Loix making an important port. Big boats coming across the Atlantic coast and even Canada called at Loix to load the precious "white gold". At that time, the mill was used to wash the salt.
Around the port square, all the buildings were linked to the salt trade: the weighbridge which allow the weighing of carts in the middle (we see the traces), the residences of state officials such as customs and especially the salt factory (large enclosed building high walls on your right) who had a very tall chimney.
The tide mill is now private property and not open to visitors.
The salt marshes:
This is the 12th century to the arrival of monks on the island Vendee began to exploit the salt marshes and for centuries, salt was the vine with one of the main wealth of the island.
In the 19th century the salt workers were more than 1000, today there remain 85 cultivating their marshes to harvest the white gold.
When the sun goes down on the horizon marshes come alive, and simoussi souvron hand, the salt workers harvest the delicate flower of salt. They say she has the smell of the violet and pink color, contrast with the coarse salt, colored by the clay of the swamp.
On this day more than 150 artists will be present, always inspired, sometimes surprising, touching, funny, short of painting in all their investment from the streets and squares of Loix "armed" brushes, spatulas and pencils.
All techniques are allowed: watercolor, oil, gouache, acrylic, chalk, pastel ... and it is a jury of professionals and the public will return at the end of exposure day, the choice of winners.
The day the painters is a cheerful celebration, open to all amateur and professional whatever the style or technique that counts the magic of painting, the pleasure of giving life to a blank page.
If you are amateur or professional painter please register (free for fans).
Information Tourist Office in Loix +33 5 46 29 07 91.