Lignières is a former chief town of the Cher department in central France, in the hills.
The name of Lignières Berry comes from the flax, unlike other Lignières of France whose name comes from "lignis" wood.
The town sits on the Arnon River, which in Lignières, is divided into several branches, remnants of the defensive structure of the former castle of the family of Beaujeu. The town developed around the powerful stronghold of Berry on the edge of Boischaut.
Hills, forests, ponds, groves around the city that had, in the Middle Ages, some economic importance due to its central location between Saint-Amand-Montrond, Issoudun and La Châtre (each 25 km) on one hand, and Bourges Châteauroux (each 40 km) on the other, the four main cities of the Duchy.
Sainte Jeanne de France, daughter of Louis XI, was elevated to Lignières by François de Linières and Anne de Culan, she will return often, even after her marriage to the future Louis of Orleans Louis XII. She created the order of the Sisters of the Annunciation.
During the religious wars, the city was sacked, looted and burned the church.
Lignières was an important center of Calvinism in the days when John Calvin, a student at the University of Bourges created many "reform schools".
The current castle built in 1654 by Francois Le Vau on the site of the old castle, was classified a historical monument in 1935 with outbuildings, moats, courtyard, common buildings and park. After belonging to various families, La Rochefoucauld, Princess Palatine, Colbert de Bourbon Busset Bourbon Parma, is today owned by the Prince Sixtus of Bourbon Parma.
In the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, Lignières, city of culture and breeding, experienced significant growth thanks to the railway line through the town, which was provided at the time of mills, slaughterhouses, laundries, hospital, church, chapel, and a monthly deemed fair.