Travel Guide - Holidays & Tourism in the Haut-Rhin

Tourism > Cities & Towns > Alsace > Haut-Rhin > Leymen


 Tourism, holiday & travel in Leymen
Insee code68182
AltitudeFrom 315 to 584 meters
Surface11.64 km²
Population1153 inhabitants
Density99 inhabitants/km²


Chief townColmar (at 74 km, 61 min)Liebenswiller at 2.5 km (6 min)
DepartmentHaut-RhinBiederthal at 4.2 km (7 min)
RegionAlsaceSearch another town


Near your destination


Please vote :
Create an itinerary around Leymen   -   Link to this page


  • Presentation of the town:
  • The common Leymen is located in the south-east of Alsace, close to the Franco-Swiss border in the Alsatian Jura, and more precisely at the foot of a wooded hill on its side with a huge career more exploited to date, and on his back the castle ruins of Landskron. The municipality covers an area of ​​1164 ha, of which about 400 are covered with forest.
  • Altitude village Leymen varies from 347-559 meters. Its territory is crossed by Birsig which empties into the Rhine at Basel.
  • Its special status is that this village is a French territory enclosed in a foreign country.
  • Its inhabitants are called Leymenois.
  • A little history:
  • It was not until 736 that the name of the town is mentioned for the first time. Found its mark in a document (cartulary Murbach deposited in the departmental archives of Colmar). It was not until the year 1245 to find a mention of the village in a new document.
  • The village has undoubtedly played a very important role in the monitoring of communications to the south.
  • In the middle of the 13th century, he made history as the dependence of the bishops of Basel. Throughout the feudal period, it is part of the Holy Roman Empire of the Habsburgs in passing successively Earl of Ferrette to Rötteln, for Munch, and finally the Reich Reichenstein from the mid 15th century.
  • During the Thirty Years' War, the village of Leymen involved in the fight against the Swedes. On 27 June 1637, it is completely looted.
  • In 1663, under Louis XIV, Leymen goes to the Kingdom of France.
  • The Revolution: Taking advantage of the Revolution, the village Reichenstein forces to yield to the common forest of Eichwald. These negotiations are made as the trial between his village lords. The village is successful. However, having been a supporter of the Revolution, in Leymenois become victims. Some people were forced to emigrate. Pilgrimage of Our Lady of the Stone attracted the attention and hatred of revolutionary authorities.
  • The First World War: Spared during the Napoleonic war and the capture of Landskron in 1813, the village was separated from the rest of Alsace during the War of 1914/1918. An electrified fence was built by the Germans on the heights of Eichwald, and between Rodersdorf Benken. Mobilization touched 168 men, 30 never returned.
  • The Second World War: Located in front of the Maginot Line, the village was evacuated to the Landes, Mauvezin d'Armagnac. Many escapes in Switzerland took place during the occupation. Deportations hit a dozen families. Four people were sent to concentration camps. Leymen was released on 20 November 1944.


  • The castle Landskron:
  • The Landskron was built during the last decade of the 13th century by the noble family of Munch Basel. Damaged by the great earthquake of 1356, it was rebuilt and passed in 1461, in the hands of the Reich Reichenstein. In the 15th century, the region entered a zone of tensions between European powers and the Confederates. Emperor Maximilian himself was making the transformation into a fortress Landskron between 1515 and 1518.
  • From the old castle were only the residential tower, transformed into a platform of artillery. The new buildings were characterized by thick walls up to 7 meters. But this defense technology was quickly overtaken by modern artillery. Moreover, the Confederate then paralyzed by religious strife, no longer threatened the border. After the Thirty Years War, the King of France acquired the rights of Reich Reichenstein and Marquis of Baden, and turned the fortress garrison plans by Vauban. In 1814, it was destroyed by the Bavarians and Austrians allies against Napoleon.
  • The ruin passed into the hands of private career served. In 1857, the family Reinach puts end to these practices by buying ruin. Since 1984, this historical monument is the property of the Franco-Swiss Pro Landskron with over a thousand members. With the help of the State, the Regional Council and the General Council, significant consolidation works have been undertaken in recent years.
  • The parish church of Saint-Léger:
  • The parish church under the invocation of St. Leger, which indicates the influence of the convent Murbach actually provided goods Leymen to the 8th century. However, the current construction surrounded the cemetery, dates only from 1898, and the church earlier, smaller, was erected in 1717 itself. This is a ground floor full of earth, covering 571 m², with a tower of five floors.
  • Above the doors (3 at the bottom of the main church and the left side door), which are made of oak, you can see the pediments. Outside, we see pilasters and dentil cornices. Between the nave and aisles, there are stone columns with acanthus capitals also stone. The windows are in color. The altar is carved oak with a central niche and four lateral niches. To the left is the altar of the Virgin in Lourdes grotto transformed to celebrate the centenary of the apparitions. On the right stands the altar of St. Joseph St. Joseph was a brotherhood in 1688.
  • What is striking is the profusion of statues Blessed Virgin and St. Joseph, but St. Anthony (patron of the chapel Landskron, taken by the parish church after the destruction of the fortress), Saint Louis Gonzaga, Saint Joan of Arc, St. Therese of the Child Jesus and a representation of the Descent from the Cross.
  • Among the wealth of the church, it should be noted the organ and bells. These, four in number, are bronze. On a platform, which is accessed by a spiral staircase, at the bottom right on the way, we found the organ. This includes 20 registers, 2 keyboards and keyboard hands pedal. Among these resources, you can still add the electric clock.
  • The Chapel of Heiligenbrunn:
  • Heiligenbrunn, probably a pagan place of worship is a chapel with a source for healing powers. It is under the patronage Walpurge (May 1). The chapel is mentioned in 1359. The present building dates from 1682, sold as national property during the Revolution, the chapel was purchased in 1812 by the municipality and made to worship. Renovated in 1875, restoration work was undertaken in 1981 and 1990.
  • For many years, the combination of the chapel Heiligenbrunn took over with the help of various partners, maintenance and renovation of this building. Throughout the year, various events are organized for this purpose.
  • The Chapel of the Holy Souls in Purgatory:
  • Located Landskron Street, it was built in 1928 at the initiative of Gonthier and gentlemen Stupfler.
  • The pilgrims who went to Mariastein were regularly stop at the chapel built to replace another chapel "Hermits" destroyed by the ravages of time.
Detailed information
MonumentsCastle of the Landskron


  • In February: Carnival - Cavalcade streets.
  • April: Spring Walk organized by Handipotes.
  • In June: Summertime at Castle Landskron, organized by the Association Pro Landskron.
  • In July, organized by the Bal tricolor Leymener Wallasitter.
  • In August: Feast of the chapel Heiligenbrunn.
  • September: General Assembly of the Association Pro Landskron.
  • Mid-September: Ecumenical celebration - The Parish.
  • October: On People organized by ASL.
  • October: Day of October organized by the Union of Societies.
  • November 11: Commemoration of the Armistice at the Cenotaph.
  • In November: Dinner organized by Arborists.
  • November: Oktoberfest organized by Leymener Wallasitter.
  • December: Christmas party organized by the Union of Societies and the municipality.


Leisure activities
NameType of activityPriceTown
Canoe-kayak at Parc des Eaux VivesSports sensations18.80 €Huningue (12.8 km)

All leisure activities around Leymen


Landskron CastleLandskron Castle
Parish Church Saint-LégerParish Church Saint-Léger
Heiligenbrunn ChapelHeiligenbrunn Chapel
Chapel of the Holy Souls in PurgatoryChapel of the Holy Souls in Purgatory
View LeymenView Leymen
Entrance to the villageEntrance to the village



Best places of the Haut-Rhin
Best places of Alsace
Photos of the Haut-Rhin to view and download
Photos of Alsace to view and download


Wednesday 17 December
Min. 3°C - Max. 6°C
Thursday 18 December
Min. 7°C - Max. 10°C
Friday 19 December
Min. 6°C - Max. 9°C


French cuisine restaurantLa Brasserie   NEW
TRACK ! - Within the airport Basel -Mulhouse symbol of international cooperation, a place frankly buzz ', thought to be a fascinating journey. Traditional cuisine in the heart of the...
Located 12.1 km from Leymen28 € per person 
French cuisine restaurantLe Texas   NEW
ambiance western,flammes alsaciennes,pizza, hamburger maison, grillades,
Located 15.5 km from Leymen24 € per person 
French cuisine restaurantAu Lion Rouge  
Au Lion Rouge the restaurant opens its doors in a simple and friendly to share a snack. Enjoy the authenticity of the place in perfect harmony with the dishes offered. Enjoy traditional...
Located 16.1 km from Leymen43 € per person 

All restaurants around Leymen


House with 2 bedroomsB&B de charme la Maison des 5 Temps    
Come sit at BandB Maison des 5 Temps in Ferrette and enjoy the quiet and romantic atmosphere of this authentic charming guest house located at the foot of Castle Ferrette and the heart...
Located 12.4 km from LeymenFrom 70 € to 75 € the double room 

All bed & breakfasts around Leymen


Chalet for 4 personsChalet / Gîte en Alsace avec Jacuzzi  
Air-conditioned chalet. The Cottage / Chalet 'La Cluserette' (maximum capacity 2 adults and 2 children) is to Grentzingen in Sundgau (also called 'Paradise bike') near the Swiss Jura...
Located 15.6 km from LeymenFrom 335 € to 430 € per week 

All vacation rentals around Leymen


193 places over 5,5 haCamping de l'Ill    
Welcome in Alsace in ILL campsite *** a green area in the hart of the town, open from 1 st April to 15 October 2012. Ill Campsite ***covers 505 ha., with 193 pitches of over 100m²,...
Located 29 km from LeymenFrom 16.80 € to 20.10 € per day 

All campsites around Leymen


Jenny - Hotel in LeymenJenny     
The hotel Jenny is located between Hagenthal le Bas and Hegenheim, 200 metres from the Swiss border. It offers rooms with a balcony and free access to the indoor heated swimming pool...
Located 5.1 km from LeymenRoom from 74 €
Auberge et Hostellerie Paysanne - Hotel in LeymenAuberge et Hostellerie Paysanne    
Auberge et Hostellerie Paysanne is located in the Jura Alsacien region. It offers a restaurant and accommodation in a traditional auberge and a separate 17th century farmhouse. The...
Located 8.3 km from LeymenRoom from 56 €
Hotel Restaurant Sud Alsace - Hotel in LeymenHotel Restaurant Sud Alsace     
Hotel Restaurant Sud Alsace is located 12 km from the borders with Germany and Switzerland. It offers a free airport shuttle service, free Wi-Fi and free parking. Rooms at Hotel Sud...
Located 10.6 km from LeymenRoom from 78 €

All hotels around Leymen

Hotel L'Europe
Located in the Alsace region, Hotel L’Europe is just 4 kilometres from Colmar town centre. Its facilities include a large sauna, massages and hot tub....
Hotel L'Europe
Located in the Alsace region, Hotel L’Europe is just 4 kilometres from Colmar town centre. Its facilities include a large...
More information
Airline ticket prices
Search for and compare your ticket
Holidays in Haut-Rhin
Accomodation for your vacation, journeys, and weekends
Restaurant in Haut-Rhin
Ads with photos and direct contact with owners
Vacation B&B
Find the Bed & Breakfast of your dreams