Leval, or Val-sous-Rougemont, as the community was called in ancient times, depends on the lordship of Rougemont. The town belongs, since 1871, the canton of Rougemont-le-Château.
First, depending on the parish Angeot, Leval was attached, at least in part, from its inception in the parish of Saints Peter and Paul de Rougemont. Leval, Romagny Rougemont and sharing this day church, cemetery memorials, patriotic ceremonies and religious festivals and traditional.
Leval is located at the foot of the Vosges, at an altitude of 430 meters on an outcrop of red sandstone, the sand pits was a time, exploited Leval, Rougemont and Saint-Germain. Bordering the St. Nicolas, the village was known as almost every village in the Vosges foothills milling activity. He maintained a dominant agricultural activity. Thanks to the many ponds that cover the eastern part of its territory, Leval had developed, in centuries past, a fish farming. A breeding and sale of fish, replaced now a leisure activity around the campsite and restaurant in the pond of the Lordship of gazebos and many recreational fishermen who settled along the other ponds.
In terms of habitat, Leval is a village street open fields characteristic of the country (country of open fields). The area of the village, 6 km ², reflects the dual aspect of the municipality of part of the territory depends on the Vosges mountains and the other part, the countries of champagne with villages close to each other.
Today Leval part of the Community of Communes of the Vosges country it is one of the least populated municipalities.