Origin of name: The name of Monestier (Monascola 18th century) describes a small monastery, a name due to the presence of a priory of La Chaise-Dieu.
The village center is located in a beautiful location overlooking the east basin Ambert. The granite soil or clay in the depressions is thin.
Le Monestier may have been an important place of settlement in the Gallo-Roman. In fact, Viren, south-east of the town, it has sometimes been seen as remnants of construction the existence of an ancient villa. Elsewhere were found fragments of various origins, a fragment of glass necklace with amber, a bracelet, a handle of a dagger, a small bronze horse.
Fiefs and castles: Most of the current municipality was part of the manor of Roche-Savine, mentioned in the Cartulary of Sauxillanges from the 10th century. On a spur of a stronger mound and surrounded by moats, rose early one castle to the 13th century became an important fortress. First possession of Polignac, the lordship passed several hands over the centuries. Around 1724 the manor was purchased by Abraham Peyrenc de Moras, a rich financier residing in Paris, his descendants held it until 1789.
18th century to today: In a poor agricultural country, craft textiles has long been an important resource with the manufacture of laces, and stamens of hawkers. In the eighteenth century, there was some time in Escures a manufacturer of glass bottles and goblets "Bohemian way. The temporary emigration was to continue until the population decline of the late nineteenth century. In winter the women were making beads or lace. Around 1880, according to J.-B.Bouillet, textiles have disappeared, the sale of wood was the only source of income. It was then, he said, Monestier the most beautiful trees in the township, but their operations were very difficult. Rye, oats, potatoes and some barley crops were normal. After the 19th Le Monestier is essentially a farming country.