The common Lauzun is located north of the department of Lot-et-Garonne in south-western France. Due to its geographical location, Lauzun is accessible by all modes of transport. Lauzun is the gateway to the Périgord on the circuit of country houses.
Originally, it was a hill cleared by the hatchet of the Gallo-Romans and the Gauls cultivated carefully. The crops wore it every autumn attracted quantities of larks, and the locals called it "the hill of larks." Indeed, "lark" in Latin is called "alauba" and local dialect "laouzu. These words were processed during the barbarian invasions in "Laus", "lausum" and finally "lauzun.
To protect the valley, the Romans settled on top of this hill a powerful oppidum. Ruined by the invasions of the 5th and 6th centuries, it served as a basis for the first castle, beneath which the serfs and villains saw seek protection.
From the 12th century, the lord of Caumont were Lauzun. The castle became a fortress with tower, walls and drawbridge. Then changes occurred in the 15th, and 16th when the castle was transformed into a stately home more comfortable.
In the late Middle Ages, Lauzun were some 18 churches and chapels as well as several religious communities including that of Recollects, founded around 1623 by Gabriel Nompar of Caumont. Unfortunately, these buildings were abandoned or destroyed during the religious wars and during the French Revolution. Today, it remains more than 4: Saint-Etienne, the church of St. Macarius, the Church of Saint-Nazaire and the chapel Queyssel.
In 1692, the County was erected in Lauzun Duchy towards Antonini Nompar Caumont Force (whose story was chronicled pay) and then again in 1766 for Armand-Louis de Gontaud Biron (Beau said Lauzun).
In 1793, Lauzun became one of the 9 towns of District Lot-et-Garonne and enjoyed as such a court and a post office.
Today Lauzun, capital of Canton, is a small village offering all shops and essential services. Lauzun invited to walk during which you will discover the vestiges of its medieval past and the charm of this former ducal town. The tranquility of its small lake shaded finally invite you to a moment of relaxation.
Visit the village.
Saint Etienne: From the original Romanesque church, there are only 2 columns with capitals and the gates of a novel very late with its 7 arches in arch of the late 13th century. The church was rebuilt several times including the 16th and the Second Empire when the roof was raised between 1866 and 1871. His interest is mainly in the furniture contained therein: the altar and reredos (late 17th and ranked MH), Chair of the 17th (ranked MH), the statue of the Black Madonna known as Our Lady of Molo (thirteenth and classified MH), another Virgin and Child from the 13th and a crucifix of the fifteenth.
House to caryatids built around 1830, together with its female statues without arms, is a curiosity of the village (MH since 1971).
Ducal Castle 16th century where lived Nompar Antonin de Caumont La Force, Duc de Lauzun (1632-1723). The castle is home to 2 fireplaces of Italian Renaissance style which was one offered to Caumont, by Catherine de Medici, for the birth of their children. Visit the castle only the summer.
The 19th century hall, whose floor room served as justice of peace, now houses the town hall and tourist office.
Churches Rural Queyssel (XI-XII centuries), Saint Macarius and Saint Nazaire.
The alleys (or carreyrous) houses with piling or timber: true legacy of the medieval past.
On the road Eymet feudal hill of Saint-Maurice.
The lake (no swimming) with its playground and picnic area is conducive to relaxation. Fishing is permitted.