The village Larressingle, ranked among the Most Beautiful Villages of France, is located west of Condom the line which separates the plateau valleys of Osse and Baïse.
According to legend, this fortified village of the 13th century takes its name from the Gallo-Roman times when, having withstood a siege of the Roman army of Crassus, Caesar's lieutenant. The latter reportedly shouted to his soldiers "Retro Singuli" back one by one. But another etymology would draw its roots from the Latin "Cingulum" feudal castle compound and the syllable "re", rehabilitation, reconstruction and is now Larressingle.
Larressingle enters the story at the beginning of the 11th century. Father Hugh, founder of the abbey of Condom is heir of the Dukes of Gascony. Became bishop of Agen and Bazas, he leaves his office abbey of Condom and donated to his successor's land Larressingle. Thus, the abbots and bishops of Condom became the Lords of the premises.
In the 12th century, it replaces the original church by a church in the defensive work. In the 13th century, the crowns of France and England fought for the Aquitaine. We then see in the region, villages are fortified (sly, Bastides). These are the abbots of Condom who make this fortress. The village will never be contested until 1589 when the Huguenots led by Montespan seize it for use as a base to carry out their raids and misdeeds and that until 1596.
From the 17th century, the castle was abandoned by the bishops in favor of that of Cassaigne art. And it is the late 18th century that Archbishop of Anteroches, late Bishop of Condom, is dismantling the roof and carry the timber to Cassaigne. Sold as a national asset, he is dismembered and gutted. Then the village itself falls into oblivion. Small and inconvenient, you live more easily outside.
In the early 20th century, the fortress is doomed to disappear, only 3 houses are inhabited, others converted barn or abandoned lose roofs and stones.
The village owes its restoration to the initiative of the Duke of Treviso, who founded a Committee on Safeguards with Boston financiers who fed funds up? In 1938.
To learn more about the Roman church dedicated to St. Sigismund, King of Burgundy, built in two stages (classified as an historic monument), walls (listed in the supplementary inventory of historical monuments) and Castle (classified as Historic Monuments) whose facade hints at the evolution of the art of building over the centuries, we invite you to come closer to the Tourist Office of Ténarèze to follow a guided tour of this beautiful village.
The Bridge Artigue, cited in the text in Beaumont, skips the Osse River between the town of Larressingle and that of Beaumont.
Guided tours of the medieval village:
Antenna of the Tourist Office of Ténarèze the village, open May to September.
Visit all year for groups by reservation.
Tel. : +33 5 62 68 22 49.
The Pilgrim's Stop:
Reenactment of life in the Middle Ages. 50 characters in period costume tell you the life of their village in time of war 100 years.
Open from April 1 to June 14, Tuesday to Sunday from 14h30 to 18h. Open from June 15 to September 30 every day from 10:30 to 12:30 and from 14h to 19h. From October 1 to 31, open Saturdays and Sundays from 14h to 18h. From November to March, Sunday, 14:30 to 17:30.
Tel. : +33 5 62 28 08 08 or +33 5 62 28 11 58.
Camp Headquarters medieval city machines of the Middle Ages:
Enter the drawbridge of the Bastille and join the start of shooting war machines: catapult, trebuchet ... A storm with battering ram, turn wheel, bombed. Pull the bow and crossbow. Trades of the past coinage, hemp rope, chain mail, stone ball. Try helmets and helmet of the knight. Gunnery. Joust the quintain. Sword fighting. Spectacle in Medieval music.
Open from March 1st to November 11th every day from 14h to 18h. In July and August, daily from 10:30 to 19h. Open all year for groups by reservation.