The village is located 31 km from Vesoul, 30 km from Gray, 40 km from Besançon and about 28 km from the future TGV station Auxon the Bottom.
Low plateau slopes facing south-east and east, flat south-west and north.
Heraldic coat of arms definition of the common "La Vernotte" is as follows: Argent, a wood alder vert smart gold. History of coat of arms: the name of the town comes from Comtois "Verne", the Gallic "Vernos", alder, and the feminine diminutive suffix "eet".
Dependencies: The Seven Fountains northwest. Ropes southeast. Le Bois Rond south and southwest Champsinets. The hamlet of Gilles were identified traces of a prehistoric site (flint campignien).
Until 1898 the name of the town was Sept Fontaines. The hamlet of La Vernotte became the chief town and gave it its name by decree November 7, 1898. The Seven Fountains were part of the earth and then the Oiselay Fresnes St Mames. In 1356 the share of the estate of John Oiselay and his wife Jeanne Oiselay, La Vernotte and the Seven Fountains were assigned to their son Claude and Jean.
La Vernotte in 1790 was part of the parish of La Chapelle-Saint-Quillain and was linked to that of Saint-Gand by decree of 30 September 1807.
Mainly agricultural town.
Population: In 1815, 330 inhabitants in 1881, 249 inhabitants in 1906, 205 inhabitants in 1936, 119 inhabitants in 1968: 81 inhabitants.
The Seven Fountains, you can see a cross painted white with a big heart in the middle relief made by Mr Stone Engineering, situated on the edge of the road at the entrance of a house, you can also see the fountain that renovated.
EVENTS AND CELEBRATIONS
Every year in summer, the rural center of La Vernotte organizes a picnic at a place called the Log Home.
To recall the village festival which took place on the second Sunday in March at the same time a meal is always organized.
ATTRACTIONS, LEISURES AND ACTIVITES AROUND
Church Fretigney 7 km, and the church of Fresne-Saint-Mamès 6 km, a little further the small town of Grandfather Ray-sur-Saone castle.