La Sauvetat-du-Dropt is a small village on the edge of the Dropt which preserves many architectural elements of its past and which was once the seat of a monastery.
The Sauvetat derives its name from the Latin "salvitatem" which means action to save, salvation, rescue. It was the name given to all the towns of refuge which enjoyed a guarantee of nonaggression granted by the local lord. The Sauvetat was under the sovereignty of the Priory Abbots who were its lords, and who, because of the perpetual state of violence, surrounded it with strong walls. Towards the end of the eleventh century, under feudalism and during the establishment of the Great Fiefs, it was part of the domain of the lords of Caumont. Nompar de Caumont, first of the name, was its suzerain in 1211.
In 1211, it was called, besides, La Sauvetat-de-Caumont. In 1789, it took the name of Sauvetat-du-Drot; Then finally in 1910 its current name of La Sauvetat-du-Dropt.
La Sauvetat saw the birth of Jean Claude, son of the pastor of the Reformed Church of La Sauvetat, who became a pastor in 1645. He was a disciple of Calvin and was perceived as one of the greatest men of his time because of Its theological authority. Constrained to exile following the revocation of the Edict of Nantes (1685), he found refuge at The Hague in the Court of the Prince of Orange where he died on January 13, 1687, at the age of 68 years.
The commune also saw the birth of the General, Jacques Delmas de Grammont (1796-1862), who in 1850 passed the first law punishing the maltreatments towards domestic animals.