A one hour from Paris, between hills and countryside of the Ile Champagne, at the confluence of the Marne and the Petit Morin, La Ferté-sous-Jouarre has all the advantages of the city ... with the strengths and country charm.
Capital of the World Meulière, its landscapes are varied, hilly, wooded trails and offer many opportunities for large and small hikes.
HISTORY OF THE CITY:
Bread, essential food of all time, is composed of flour to be milled.
Since ancient times, the seeds were crushed wheat with stones rubbed together.
In the Middle Ages, water and wind were the driving forces and mills were extracted from the land of boulders to crush grain in windmills. Thanks to a very good quality stone, flint, La Ferté-sous-Jouarre will develop a reputation of expertise in meulerie.
After the revolution, the liberalization of land will increase the growth of this business. It gradually abandoned the manufacture of grinding wheels "monoliths", that is to say composed of a single block of stone for grinding the technique of "English" consisting of multiple choice pieces of stone, " tiles ". We extirpait these stones in the hills surrounding La Ferté-sous-Jouarre: Tarterel, wood of Barre ... This industrialization will have its peak in the 19th century. La Ferté-sous-Jouarre had at that time 23 companies. Annual production reached 1000 to 1200 wheels and 80 to 100 000 tiles that went by boat and then by train in the world. We still found in many countries.
Around 1860, large industrial mills appear and use a new milling system. Many small mills, the victims of this competition, gradually close. Trade grinding stones slowly collapses.
In 1881, this crisis is born general society millstone (sgm) fusion fertoises 9 companies that will not stop the decline. Meuliers workers, exhausted by hard work (life expectancy not exceeding 45 years), launched a prolonged strike in 1910, and in 1914 started the First World War the complete collapse of the industry.
Since 2003, the General Council of Seine-et-Marne and the municipality of La Ferté-sous-Jouarre opened to the public a "sensitive natural area (SLA) Timber Bar" which offers an educational journey to discover the fauna and flora but sure the work on this stone extracted from the earth.
Several streets in the city remind the industry: Rue du Port aux wheels, street tiles, street Carriers, Grindstone street, street Row markers.
Birth of a city, its origins:
Over time, the archaeological discoveries have shown that the hamlet of Saint-Martin seems to be the cradle of the city.
In 1820, while digging a cellar in the village, we found several coffins and cast in 1848, by correcting the local road. In 1858, establishing the main road No. 4, we began to date Gallo-Roman substructures. Then, in 1864, the owners of the mill Condetz, by expanding the bed Morin met timbers placed vertically as fixed in the middle of the swamps to build lake cities. Aurochs horn, three fragments of antlers that had been used as instruments of defense, a weapon of bronze (or iron) in the form of a sword were found in the same circumstances and donated to the museum in Meaux . A funerary vase which contained the remains of cremation was even discovered in 1870 in Saint-Martin.
Under Dagobert (628-638) took place the foundation of a number of monasteries including the Reuil. In the 9th century, following the various invasions, men raised fortifications, this is the birth of feudal movement. It is at this time there appeared a new military leader das region: Anculfus. It certainly has been placed there to defend the Abbey Jouarre, which Hermentrune, wife of King Charles the Bald, who was abbess. He settled on an island in the Marne where he could oppose the passage of the enemy, he built a fortress, as was usual, took his name: Firmitas Anculfi (fortified farm Anculfus) . The city will have that name until the 13th century, which is an evolution of language: Ancoul, Aucoul, In Col. In troubled times of the French Revolution, we find the small town known as the La Ferte sous Jouarre said. In 1793, a decree stated that in the future, the city is called La Ferte-sur-Marne. In the 3rd Year (1795), it was La Ferte-sur-Morin. 4 Floreal Year V, on 23 August 1797, after many vicissitudes, the city becomes: La Ferté-sous-Jouarre.
Memory of Earth:
Before the establishment of the Franks in Gaul, the chief reward Germain gave the warrior who had distinguished himself in battle: a Framee (spear), or a horse, or he was invited to a feast. After the conquest, it was the chief land Franc gave those who remained faithful. These lands were known as "profits." Owners of large fiefs, obliged, at a time when wars were so frequent, make allies, other vassals gave some portions of their own areas of profits, so that a multitude of fiefdoms and rear-fiefs were in the wake of the great feudatories.
From the 9th century, all land was owned by the nobility and the clergy.
Counts of Brie and Champagne
This is Herbert I, Count of Vermandois, who died around 943, that was held in Brie Champagne. Hubert III, one of his great-grand-son, was Count of Troyes and Meaux. In the 12th century, under the authority of Thibaut, one sees many religious buildings to create: many churches, monasteries and hospitals. Champagne and Brie, under their administration, are developing their trade and industry. Troyes and Provins become manufacturing towns. Meaux, Coulsdon, Provins, Lagny have very important fairs. The communal movement spreads in northern France. In 1179, Meaux received its charter postage. In 1230, the right to choose their mayor and aldermen is granted to Provins. The viscounts of La Ferte-au-Coul had roads (viatoria) of the territory that is to say, they were lords and overlords high justice.
Hugues first (1096): Lord Oisy, lord of Cambrai, is certainly the first Viscount of La Ferte.
Hugues 2nd: Son of former and father of Geoffrey who, at his death, inherited viscounties Meaux and La Ferte.
Geoffrey or Godfrey (1115-1167): Towards 1140, Geoffrey, Knight, Viscount of La Ferte-au-Coul, for the "cure of his soul and the salvation of his predecessors" donated to the canons of the church of Meaux , roads Changis and all manorial rights or private they had in that district. Constance married, they had two children: Peter and Ade.
Stone: Son of Geoffrey, Lord of La Ferte 1170, had died childless since returned to his lordship sister Ade.
Ade: Hugues With his son, they made significant donations to the church Reuil, among others, the Cens (fee payable by tenants to the lord of the fief).
Hugues third Oisy (1171-1189): He is quoted as lord of La Ferte Anculph. Despite two marriages, the first with Gertrude of Flanders, the second with Margaret Wood, widow of Otho, Count of Burgundy, he died childless. The lordship of La Ferte happening in the house of Montmirail, following the marriage of his sister Hildéarde with André de Montmirail, lord of La Ferte Gaucher.
Jean de Montmirail said the Blessed (1189-1217): Vicomte de Meaux, Count of La Ferte Gaucher, Lord of Crevecoeur of Tresmes, La Ferte Aucoul. By his gaiety, his chivalry, his bravery in battle and even more by the extent of his knowledge, he becomes the favorite of King Philip the second austerity (1165-1223), who gives him the nickname "John Kindness." Converted by a monk, he retired on his land, to take care of pious foundations but also to devote himself to the education of his two son, John and Matthew. In 1209, after receiving the consent of his wife, he joined the monks of Longpont, near Soissons, where he died in 1217.
2nd John (1209-1240): He is pronounced dead childless.
Mathieu (1240-1262): Brother of John, gives alms to the priory of Reuil, in 1245, a fishery "in the water of the Marne." He died childless too, the land of La Ferte returns to his sister Marie de Montmirail.
Marie de Montmirail: Due to the time it was her husband Enguerrand de Coucy 3rd administering his property. He became lord of La Ferte in his name.
Enguerrand de Coucy 3rd: This is a valiant knight. In 1209, he participated in the crusade against the Albigensians. It Bouvines in 1214 and is part of the league against the Regent. He entered the service of the 9th Louis (St. Louis), which counts among its most loyal Barons. He died in 1242. This is his second son who succeeded him.
Enguerrand de Coucy 4th: It is a case made famous by the opposing king. In 1261, having caught three young Flemish hunting on his land, he hanged without further ado. The King is arrested and taken to the Tower of Louvre. He appears before the Court of Peers. Despite the support of the great feudal families and an apology from the king, he was sentenced to a fine of £ 12,000 and a solemn expiation. The proceeds of the fine is based on hospital and public schools Pontoise in Paris. He died in 1311. With him off the direct branch of Coucy. His property passed to his nephew Jean de Guines, it inherits the lordship of La Ferte Gaucher and in Coul.
Jean 3rd Guines (1311-1334): He was confirmed in his rights by a decree dated 1318. At his death, he left as his heir his daughter Jeanne, who had lost his only son in 1335, may enter into possession of his property, the land of La Ferte returned to the second house of Coucy, Enguerrand by sixth brother John Guines.
6th of Enguerrand Ciucy (1335-1350) Husband of Catherine of Austria, daughter of Duke Leopold and granddaughter of the Emperor Albert I.. He took part in all the wars of his time, he fought in Flanders against Edward III, King of England. He then took an active part in the war of succession of Brittany. He died in 1350 leaving his daughter to heiress Jeanne de Coucy.
Jeanne de Coucy (1350-1373): She married in 1352 John Bethune. From this union was born Robert, who first married Jeanne de Châtillon, who died childless, and Ysabeau of Ghistelle. They have two daughters, Jane, Viscountess of Meaux, Lady of La Ferte Aucoul, Tancrou, Bellot-en-Brie, wife of Robert de Bar. They had a daughter named Jeanne as his mother. Bar Robert was killed in the Battle of Agincourt in 1415. His widow is presented to John of Luxembourg.
Jean of Luxembourg: Governor of Arras, by King Charles VI. The marriage contract is dated 23 November 1416. At that time, it already shows his attachment to the French door and the house of Burgundy. This is one of his men, the Bastard of Vendôme, which is trapped Jeanne d'Arc at Compiègne and sells it without blushing to English through 10,000 pounds of gold. In 1435, he refused to sign the Peace of Arras, which brings the Duke of Burgundy the King of France. He died in 1440, chastened by King Charles VII.
Louis of Luxembourg: Nephew of John of Luxembourg, Count of Saint Paul, who became lord of La Ferte, he also refuses to sign the Peace of Arras. But befriends with the Dauphin (son of Francis) and made a covenant with the king against the English. Louis 11th gives the title constable of France, and made him marry second wife Marie de Savoie. For interest, it continues to lead a double game between the king and the duke of Burgundy. Discovered by both parties, after his trial, he was taken to the Place de Greve, where he was beheaded for the crime of lèse majesté, December 14, 1475. The first marriage of Louis of Luxembourg with Jeanne de Bar was born Pierre died in 1472, father of four children, three died childless son and a daughter Marie of Luxembourg.
Marie of Luxembourg: She comes into possession of the land of La Ferte in 1487. That same year, she married François de Bourbon, Count of Vendôme. They have four son and the death of their father in 1495, Charles of Bourbon, who inherits his father's land, under the tutelage of his mother.
Charles de Bourbon Duke of Vendôme, in 1513 he married Françoise d'Alençon which gives thirteen children including:
Antoine de Bourbon, father of Henri IV.
Charles of Bourbon Cardinal of Rouen, created king by the League in 1589, under the name of Charles X.
First Louis de Bourbon, first prince of Condé (1530-1569): Grandfather of the Grand Condé, he inherited land La Ferté-sous-Jouarre. He joined the Calvinism and was the leader of the Protestant party in France. Accused of being the instigator of the conspiracy of Amboise, he was imprisoned and released by François second by his brother Henri III. He married in 1551 Eleanor of Roye. Valiant warrior, he was however defeated at Dreux in 1562, then in Jarnac, where he was assassinated in 1569. At his death, his son Henry inherited La Ferte.
1st Henri de Bourbon, Prince de Condé second: He was born on 29 avil La Ferté-sous-Jouarre 1552, it appears after the death of his father, Louis de Condé as one of the leaders of the Calvinist party with his cousin Henry of Navarre (later King Henri IV). He married in first marriage with Marie de Cleves in 1571 in the castle of Blandy-les-Tours, but she died in 1574. Then he married his second wife Charlotte of Trémoille. It will, of the Bourbon-Condé family, the last owner of the land in La Ferte. By an act of July 18, 1585, he sold his beautiful La Ferte-sister, Princess de Conti for a price of 20,000 crowns, which provide finance for its Huguenot army. The Princesse de Conti immediately resells the land and Sieur de Larchant Dame de Vivonne, daughter of Dame Force who married second husband François de Caumont and whose son became one of the Caumont de La Force and redeem his sister, Lady Vivonne, the lands of La Ferte. Henri de Conde died 5 March 1588 in Saint-Jean d'Angely. His wife, suspected of having poisoned is trapped. His second son, Henri de Bourbon, Prince de Conde third born September 1, 1588, will be the father of the "Grand Condé" second Louis de Bourbon, 4th Prince de Condé.
Jacques de Caumont Duke Nompar Force: Born in 1558, it will be marked by the assassination of his father and brother at St. Bartholomew himself escaped by a miracle. This drama does take up the cause of Condé and Navarre and follows all the campaigns. He became a general and Marshal of France in 1622. Marshal Force comes to La Ferte in 1623 to take formal possession of the manor. He was one of the colonels of the Company Arquebusiers the city. From his first marriage, which lasted 60 years, he had 12 children Rompar Armand de Caumont, who La Ferte it yields. Nompar give his land as a dowry to his daughter Charlotte who married Henri de la Tour d'Auvergne, Vicomte de Turenne in 1653.
Henri de la Tour d'Auvergne, Vicomte de Turenne (1611-1675). Commander of the Army of Germany during the Thirty Years War, Lieutenant General and Marshal of France in 1643. It is also a colonel in the Company Arquebusiers La Ferte. Protestant, he converted to Catholicism by Bossuet in 1668. But before his death at the Battle of Sasbach in 1675, upon the death of his wife in 1666, it makes the dot from Charlotte to her father. In 1674, out of the house La Ferté-sous-Jouarre Caumont Force and enters that of La Rochefoucauld de Roye for the following reasons: The Duke Armand Force and François de Roye with common descent, and the Duke Force n ' having no heir after the death of his daughter Charlotte, he sold his land to Francis de Roye, this possession was legally performed in 1682. On the death of Francis, his heir was Charles Frederick, but his refusal to abjure the Protestant religion did emigrate to Denmark and did lose all rights and property collected by the children remained in France: François de Roye to La Rochefoucauld, Charles de La Rochefoucauld de Roye and Louis de La Rochefoucauld de Roye. This undivided ceased before the death of Francis. Sharing took place and La Ferte fell to Louis de La Rochefoucauld de Roye, his son Jean-Baptiste Frédéric (known under the title of Duc d'Enville). His heir was a son of Louis-Alexandre de La Rochefoucauld, who in turn inherited land La Ferté-sous-Jouarre.
Louis-Alexandre de La Rochefoucauld (1743-1792): Protector informed sciences and the arts, he was a member of the Assembly of Notables and Estates-General (1789). Last La Ferté-sous-Jouarre lord, after his death, his widow remarried to LA Boniface de Castellane and it was under this name that sells in La Ferte Mr. Devouge, wholesale grocer who made the castle a store. Then his son, Mr. Dupuis, thought to restore the castle, he made an estimate of the works by Viollet-Leduc. The amount announced, the owner knocked down and the land was divided by lot.
During the French Revolution, the Constituent Assembly abolished the provinces and divided France into departments. La Ferte became chief of a district consisting of 18 municipalities. After being named in 1793 The Ferte-sur-Marne, and La Ferte-sur-Morin, 4 Floréal 5th Year (23 August 1797), the city takes its present name: La Ferté-sous-Jouarre. This dark period of the late 18th century brought to La Ferte a historic episode during the flight of Louis the 16th and his family. Arrested at Varennes, on the train back to Paris stopped La Ferté-sous-Jouarre June 23, 1791 for a meal. Charles Louis Ambroise Regnard, mayor of the city, welcomes the king in his castle with deference Island, which earned him a few years later to be imprisoned but avoid the guillotine with the fall of Robespierre. In 1750, was born in the city of Himbert Flégny (Louis Alexander, Baron), Mayor of La Ferte in 1792. He was a member of the Convention and a member of the Seine and Marne. He joined the coup Bonaparte. Became knighted in 1808 and Baron in 1810. He built the castle called the Abyss also Bondons. Humbert goes to La Ferte January 11, 1825.
All this time brought significant changes to La Ferte. Deliberation of the Council of the municipality of 22 November 1790, authorized the mayor Regnard "to seek the annulment of the toll bridge." By the decree of 2 November 1789, the allocation to the nation of church property, the mills were part of national assets and therefore the property of the city of La Ferte, and all real property of religious institutions. Decree of 15 March 1790 has removed the rights of banality held since the Middle Ages by the abbey of Reuil. Before the French Revolution, there was a school for the teaching of Latin run by nuns. From 1795, he was arrested they could in the canton of La Ferté-sous-Jouarre, 18 elementary schools, two are located in the town and 16 other municipalities in the canton: Changis, Ussy, Sammeron, Saint-Jean-les- two twins, Pierre Levee, Signy Bookmarks Bassevelle, Bussieres Citry, Saâcy, Mery Luzancy, St. Aulde, and Chamigny Reuil.
After the defeat at Leipzig in 1913, France was invaded by the Coalition of major European states. In 1814, the city is overrun know one of the last battles launched by Napoleon, the Battle of Montmirail, he must abdicate.
Industry and textile trade:
Thanks in part to the large sheep farm, the textile industry was the Brie in a fairly prosperous time. In the 17th century, La Ferté-sous-Jouarre, there were 8 master manufacturers who wove in one year 30 pieces of serge draped. A note of Colbert in 1669 indicates the existence of "... 60 trades for La Ferté-sous-Jouarre factory bouracans" (large fabrics for coats). This work the wool was carded by step (from the name of teasel plant europe, kind of thistle, prickly whose head was used to comb the raw wool), it was to separate and align the fibers for over wool by a carding machine, tool composed of two pieces of wood stitched inside small metal spikes.
But the most important industry at this time was the tannery. Any city, large or small, located on a river community had its master tanners. While maintaining a traditional character, tanning asked to have large enough capital for the operations of tanning were very long and lasted up to two years. The master tanners had the city walls the monopoly of manufacture and sale, we noted that several tanners were accessing the aldermen (the name is an alderman judges elected by the residents of some municipalities charge of assist the mayor under the old regime) and allied themselves with great bourgeois families. The business is large enough, the cloth merchants were organized as a corporation. They had shops in town and participated in many fairs and markets: Meaux, Melun, Provins. Many street names relive these professions: Rue Fur (occupation of trade and labor of the skin and fur, comes from the Latin meaning pelis skin), rue des Tanneries, ovens street, rue des Cordeliers.
The wood of the bar: Free admission. Free Guided tours for groups by reservation at the Tourist Office La Ferté-sous-Jouarre. This former mining the millstone, this site blank hills is an ideal place for hikers. Afforestation Timber bar is marked by stands that have naturally colonized a changed environment by man at the time of operating the millstone. Undergrowth total 165 plant species. It offers beautiful stretches of spring plants: bluebell, lesser celandine, pennywort, wood anemone ... Areas contain limestone hill and open the male orchis. Among the fauna, it is possible to observe mammals such as deer, wild boar, marten, badger, but also in ponds protected species in France: the salamander. This circuit allows the walker educational discover this historic and ecological.
The port on wheels: La Ferté-sous-Jouarre has, in heritage millstone, a unique monument "to port wheels Pâtis Conde", which was obviously the greatest of all. Its presence is attested from 1558, when Louis de Bourbon, Prince de Condé and lord of La Ferté-sous-Jouarre concedes the right of people to use two pieces of meadow lying to the suburb. The Fertois can then freely use these spaces for them to graze their cattle but also to store the wheels. This monument has kept a strong evocative power and leaves no visitor indifferent, especially where an underpass leads, giving a view column wheels over much of its diameter. Free access.
The church of Saint-Étienne Saint-Denis.
The City Hall: It is one of the most remarkable buildings of La Ferté-sous-Jouarre. On the neo-Gothic architecture, its construction dates from 1885. Free guided tours every first Tuesday of the month between May and October of registration with the Office of Tourism La Ferté-sous-Jouarre. Reservation throughout the year for groups.
The art center of the old Synagogue and Museum André Planson: The ground floor of the ancient synagogue hosts temporary exhibitions of contemporary artists living in the region, inspired by it, or part of painters local heritage-rich area. 1st floor of the art center, museum Planson André André Planson (1898-1981) was born in La Ferté-sous-Jouarre, it has been associated with the School of Paris painters of the "poetic reality." The landscapes of the valley inspired him many colorful paintings and dynamic. Mac Orlan wrote: "André Planson knows the language of water and the woods, and for this reason the Marne made offerings before him and revels in front of his paintings." The development of his talent is revealed in a series of watercolors that the artist took the transparency of the light and grace of the rhythm of the corner of Ile-de-France. The museum was designed with a certain chronology: the tables were painted between 1930 and 1980. At the back of the room, you can see a scene representing his studio one discovers a cabinet in which painter came to his store tubes of paint, brushes his charcoals, pastels ... Open to the public on Saturdays from 15h to 18h, Sundays and public holidays from 10h to 13h and from 15h to 18h. For groups, tours throughout the year by reservation at the Tourist Office on +33 1 60 01 87 99. Came free.
The bandstand: Facing the municipal theater, provided a base millstone is of course the band bandstand was inaugurated on 3 May 1903. April 9, 1893, Alfred Augustus Cuckold, on the eve of a trip, his will. Several years have passed and Mr. Cuckold died at age 50 in January 1900, leaving no children. The heirs then discovered that he donated to the city of 10,000 Francs to build a bandstand on Pâtis of Condé. After experiencing hours music in the shade of trees instead, the presence of bands on the kiosk has been gradually decreased to disappear completely. In 2009, the bandstand has been completely renovated. Today, the sounds of new rhythms, "La Fête de la Musique" and some other parties point him relive festive hours.
Theatre: All millstone and decorated in front of a fore-baroque-style church, the municipal theater was built in 1892 and inaugurated in 1896. We baptize Theatre "Eldorado". In the early 20th century, passing troops gave performances. In 1914, the Battle of the Marne into hospital, the street Chamigny, led by Dr. Bar and seconded by Dr. Hellman, being overwhelmed with wounded. It then becomes the place where you can attend concerts, theater, harmonies and political meetings, room must Fertoise life. Information: Tel. : +33 1 60 22 25 63 or +33 1 60 01 87 99.
The British Memorial: September 5, 1914, nearly one million French soldiers and their British allies, defeated fighters battles deadly border harassed by exhausting retreat, are resolutely turned and resumed the offensive. This will be the First Battle of the Marne, a victory for the price of 7 days of fierce fighting on the front line of more than 200 km, breaking the German onslaught, protecting and saving Paris France from invasion. La Ferté-sous-Jouarre was a theater of fighting. The Sunday, November 4, 1928 was inaugurated the memorial in the presence of Marshal Foch, with an imposing monument, carved in stone, 3888 names of officers and soldiers who fell during the battle in September 1914. These men belonged to the British Expeditionary Force from six divisions commanded by General Sir John French. This monument was erected by the British government along the Marne on land donated by Miss Fizeau de Jussieu, a descendant of the scholar Hippolyte de Jussieu, who was a member of the Royal Academy of London. This sanctuary is the work of sculptor Goldchmidt at the initiative of "Souvenir English" and its President Lt. Gen. Pulteney, who participated in the Battle of the Marne. In this field (the Memorial) is planted, since 1964, a cedar of Lebanon qu'introduisit Bernard de Jussieu in 1727. A commemorative plaque is located at the foot of the cedar.
The Sensitive Natural Area Bois de la Bergette: A rich history ... Slope of the Marne, the wood of the Bergette tells us a part of the history of the valley. ENS This epitomizes the landscape and the atmosphere of the Marne valley northeast of the department. The marked relief of wooded hillside overlooking the valley floor more open, remnants of ancient cultures. Found between these two geographical ruins of an old castle. At the wooded hillside, history demonstrates past human activity. Many visible holes in the forest are related to the extraction of millstones from the 18th and 19th centuries. The development completed in 2011 by the Department can connect the edges of the Marne wooded hillside via a network of trails suitable ecological characteristics at ENS. The most interesting natural areas are located on the wooded hillside, notably with the presence of remarkable beetles living in dead wood or nesting raptors (buzzard and sparrowhawk). This is why the wooded hillside has been little work to make the discreet presence of man. Ruins, too unstable to be approached by the public, were completed in their entirety and developed from a side path. Only roost cavities where bats have been secured to prevent vandalism while improving the capacity of these animals. The bottom of the valley has a fauna and flora less rich but development has improved the ecological potential of the area. Side track, a field was planted and fenced to be grazed. Tree plantations and country hedges are intended to enjoy the atmosphere wooded visible on old postcards. The river Marne, meanwhile, will expand naturally. An orchard consisting of 5 varieties of pear was planted in 2012 on the large meadow with the support of the Association Crunchers Apples and children's school La Ferté-sous-Jouarre of Limon. Old varieties chosen represent a genetic heritage and rural preserve. Beyond the orchards have a real interest in biodiversity because, with age, they are home to many plant and animal species.
The Garden James Collingwood-Thomson: Facing the garden of the island, this green space surrounds the memorial of the English. He was baptized July 27, 2004 in memory of one of the first British victims of the Battle of the Marne in September 1914. James Collingwood-Thomson was mortally wounded at the corner of the rue de Condé and street tiles September 9, 1914. Transported to Castle Perreuse, serving as a military hospital, he died the next day. This land was given by the Fizeau family, descended from a family of botanists, Fizeau-Jussieu.
The Garden Island: The Garden Island is located on the old road leading to the castle of the island, on the banks of the Marne, arranged for walks up to Petit Morin. Greenery throughout the Marne, with a play area for younger children, a skate park and a playground for the biggest bounded. In the shade, benches for contemplating nature, fishermen, boats, swans or jogging in nature. The Garden Island hosts many events throughout the year: Easter egg hunt or Ferte-Plage in July.
The park fountain Pigeons: For the small street or alley Watch Twinning, one enters the park fountain Pigeons, today gorgeous arboretum with calm and relaxation in the shade of many species trees. Walkers and nature lovers will find a quiet sweetness, athletes can about them to clear a path among the busiest roads arranged. Free access. Information: Tel. : +33 1 60 22 25 63 or +33 1 60 01 87 99.
Festival "blue hands", a festive and family event: mid-September. Festival of street arts organized by the municipality. Everyone will be guided through a series of artistic interventions (visual arts, circus arts, street arts, theater, dance, music ...) outdoors, proposed by amateur groups and professional. Since the Middle Ages until the first half of the 20th century, the city has experienced La Ferté-sous-Jouarre prosperity through the extraction of gritstone and manufacture of millstones were exported worldwide. The sudden decline of this industry has left a deep trauma. At La Ferte is in memory of working so hard for these men, which is also its heritage, the city wants to honor the creation of a festival of street arts. Between the extraction sites of stone, cutting workshops, market activity on the Marne and at the station, reflected sounds, rhythm, color, an abundance of workers, men, women or children. All these elements are symbolic of the past, and it is this symbolism that will be transmitted and reinterpreted in various events scheduled for this day. The "blue hands" are those workers who were cutting stone fly flint flakes which penetrated the flesh. The hand symbol may work but it is also the symbol of giving and sharing. The idea is to work both on the territory of the real and imaginary territory.