The village is located at 1430 m altitude in the upper valley of the Ariege, just before the Andorran border.
It is a typical village in stone, with its hiking trails, fountains ...
According to the chronicle of Vich, Hospitalet owe its foundation to the knight Bertrand Enveight nephew of Susan Enveight, dowager-Jordan, where the boundaries came up Saillens (common Mérens-les-Vals) . Surprised by the year 1003 with his horse through a snowstorm on the western side of the neck Puymorens Enveight the knight made a vow, if he had saved his life to build a hospital or a shelter house with oratory dedicated to Saint Suzanne, patron of his aunt. At the same time, he opened his sword the belly of his horse, tore out the guts and put in their place. By this ingenious method, he warmed himself, could wait until the weather and find his way. He kept his promise and we still see today the chapel he had built near the bridge called Sainte Suzanne. This became the patron saint of Hospitalet. His feast day is August 11. The sanctuary of St. Suzanne was held by monks of the Hospitaller Order of Saint John of Jerusalem. At that time, the population consisted of Hospitalet July-August religious service attached to the hospital, assisted by a few volunteer workers (Donats) who helped care for travelers and pilgrims, to herding and cultivate the land. All lived very soberly.
In 1791, when the formation of the territory of Commons, the Refuge was a hamlet Mérens-les-Vals. Its first mayor was Peter Astri. Until the mid 17th century, the Refuge was designated as the Hospital de Sainte Suzanne, in memory of its founding. After the plague of 1631 and the records of Vital Mérens-les-Vals, it appears that the village has a church, under the patronage of St. Susanna, and a cemetery separate from Merens. The church bell, dating from the 17th century, was recast in 1843. His weight is 164 kg and note E-flat.
Village near the border, L'Hospitalet knew the invasion of Spain in April 1793 (where they were repulsed by the National Guard and troops of General Marbot) in 1811 and 1812 where they "went down" in the region Ax and even to the gates of Tarascon.
The iron mines Puymorens used to forge the Ariège valley make it, too, a necessary and a relay in line with its vocation. In 1865, the RN 20 to Mérens stopped. Not until the late 19th century stagecoaches crossed the neck of Puymorens.
Avalanches have remained in the memory: that of January 4, 1895, those 16 and December 25, 1906??
Its border location and topography make Hospitalet a crossroads: a Post Office was opened on 1 October 1898. The arrival of the railway with its extension to Ripoll allows the opening of the tunnel construction of the railway, October 20, 1908, in the presence of Delcasse, former minister. A hydroelectric plant is installed and a customs post.
In 1896, L'Hospitalet includes 28 houses for 34 households and 139 inhabitants.