Hattonchâtel is located on a promontory overlooking the plain of Woëvre and the beautiful lake of Madine. Its altitude is 355 m.
In the Carolingian period in the ninth century, when the descendants of Charlemagne are fighting the legacy of an entire empire, the bishop of Verdun, the name of Hatton, decided to build on this promontory fortress. Thus was born Hattonchâtel. The beautiful castle Hattonchâtel is certainly the finest relic of history too often tormented. Until 1546 the bishops will hit Hattonchâtel currency. The town was besieged and destroyed by the Swedes in 1636. During the First World War, the town was severely affected. But all this did not prevent the town to be rebuilt several times, while retaining its original character. The beautiful castle was rebuilt between 1923 and 1928 with funds donated by Miss Belle Skinner.