The first written mention of the town date from 814 to about a division of property of the Abbey of Saint-Denis. Fontenay, who was then called Fontanicum does Fontenay-en-Parisis this name since 1904.
The village lies at the heart of a region, called France from the 12th century and marked by the Oise, the Seine, the Marne, and Thève bottle. It was formed by all the fertile plains of St. Denis, Gonesse, Mitry, Roissy, Louvre and Le Mesnil Aubry.
In 1119, Fontenay is one of the first places to carry the name of France but there are also, over the centuries: The Louvre, in the Louvre, the Louvre in Paris, The Louvre in France and already in 1787 Fontenay en Parisis.
Parisis come from the Celtic "By ship and" is "man then" man ship "and presumably by extension" carpenters. "
Once the plain of France was watered by the Louvre (now the Croult) Celtic word which means lumber yard.
Fontenay-en-Parisis evokes, by its suffix, the tribe of Parise who appeared in the region in the 3rd century BC, and its prefix, the three sources and the many municipal and private wells that supplied the villagers with drinking water.
After twice turned down the rink in town under the combined effects of flooding followed by severe cold, the creek crossing open Fontenay was channeled in 1873. Powered by three sources of the village, it will flow into the Croult which will then swell the waters of the Seine after passing Thillay, Gonesse, Bonneuil and Saint-Denis.