8 km east of Charny - 8 km northeast of Verdun.
Fleury-devant-Douaumont village, situated on wooded hills, often avoid being caught in the invasion that succeeded after the French Revolution of 1789, including 1792, 1814 and 1870.
But with the construction of the line of Forts model Sere de Rivieres on the coasts of Meuse after the war of 1870-71, his fate will soon switch to the tragedy because its central location between, those of Douaumont Souville , and de Vaux's book will become not an enviable Froideterre during the great German offensive of 1916.
Initially, however, the construction of forts surrounding it provides a measure of prosperity with a new provision of working people and military. In 1913 it reached 422 people, allowing small shops, inns and craftsmen to develop their business next to that of the rural traditional farming.
In September 1914, the Battle of the Marne Front Fixed several miles north of Fleury and the people think, again, to escape the German invasion ...
Indeed, in 1915, it is still completely intact and full of combat troops or logistical preparing to climb to the front or after it is based ...
On February 21, 1916, from the onset of the massive German offensive, the French military authorities are evacuating people to Bras-sur-Meuse and Verdun.
On February 24, 1916, the fall of Fort Douaumont, north, and the advance of German troops and heavy artillery, causing the start of the bombing and the progressive destruction of the village.
But it will be until the fall of Fort de Vaux, in the East, June 7, 1916, which is closing in quickly on the village, which therefore ends up in the front line.
As of that date, become incessant German bombing to allow his foot to approach and enter, for the first time, June 23, 1916.
But the fighting raging on both sides, the ruins will be resumed the next day, June 24, by the hairy ... but this recovery will be short-lived ...
There are a total of 16 alternating possession of the town between June 23 and August 18, 1916, when it was finally taken by the Colonial Infantry Regiment of Morocco.
Among the acts of war that took place on the floor of the town, note taking the Powder Magazine, July 11, 1916, by the Germans, a shelter within 10 m of rock, where combat death of Colonel Coquelin Lisle, commander of the 255th Brigade.
In October and November 1916, the ruins serve as a starting point of the offensive led by General Mangin that can take over the forts of Vaux and Douaumont to the enemy and so restore a relative calm until the end of the war martyred in this village without interruption for six months.
Classified as "red zone" and declared "Death to France" in 1918, it enjoys the unique status of village destroyed in 1919.
Its people not being able to rebuild their lives, raise its chapel in 1934 homeless on the site of his church razed to the ground. It will symbolically the statue of Our Lady of Europe on its facade in 1979 to mark, in particular, the real start of the European Union in peace.
Already, twelve years ago, September 17, 1967, was inaugurated on Verdun Memorial, built on the site of the old station in front of Fleury Douaumont the initiative and with Mr Maurice Genevoix, founding president of the National Memorial de Verdun.
By the presence of the Memorial and the many achievements made since memory on its territory, the municipality of Fleury-devant-Douaumont has become a legitimate, the village destroyed the most visited of all.