The name of Étueffont's Latin root "stufae" (ovens), a word which has given rise to other names in the same family as Étouvy (Calvados), Etouy (Oise), Étouvans (Doubs). Etueffont name has the same origin as the word oven.
Étueffont has long been a town parish. There are Estophum the 11th century, Estueffont the 13th century, Eytuffun, dialect form 1316, Stoffen, Stouffen, Eistoffan the 15th century, German Stauffen.
The Arms of the Netherlands were Étueffont sand overturned two gold chevrons and those of High Étueffont two gold chevrons of sand. Since the merger of two municipalities June 7, 1973, the definition of coat of arms is "Azure two chevrons of sand."
This town combines the two former villages, High and Étueffont Étueffont Netherlands, since 1973.
Distance of 15 kilometers from Belfort, Étueffont occupies an area of foothills in the region of the Vosges in the north of Belfort.