Damazan corresponds to the ancient Ad Fines station mentioned by the Antonine Itinerary.
Situated along the Canal de Garonne, founded in 1259 by Alphonse de Poitiers, brother of St. Louis King of France, Damazan was then known as "Castrum COMITALE.
More than a country house, Damazan was a fortress, where, around the castle walls stood Comtal, joined to wide and deep ditches that made it almost inaccessible.
On the death of Alphonse de Poitiers, the bastide returned to the King of England, according to the terms of the Treaty of Paris.
Then, in 1277, she returned to Edward I.. Damazan has not finished moving from domination to another and suffer the seats to the battle of Castillon.
Besides these rivalries, Damazan will the legacy of disputes of local lords in the 15th and 16th centuries, and those of the Wars of Religion. Indeed, the city taken in 1568 by Protestants and then retaken by the Catholic church sees his burned and devastated by the latter in 1585.
The feudal system died, the kingship extends two centuries of peace history Damazan, and vines ensures prosperity of the land.
The central square, with a plane-shaped quadrilateral, with angles and houses half-timbered, oak and chestnut in the country and mixing mud and hay land. Repainted facades and paving restored recently.
The walls of the mansion that had four openings: Osten door to the East door of Cap-de-Bosc to West; Buzet door to the south, the doors of Saint-Pe to Septentrional. The other streets intersected by streets ended in a cul-de-sac and have been open to traffic until 1936.
The town hall built around 1818 in the center of the square, above the hall, and which can be accessed by a staircase from the 14th century.
The Count's castle in the north-west corner of the square, originally the residence of the military governor appointed by the King. Store tobacco since 1832, partially destroyed by fire in 1990 and now being restored.
The Notre Dame in the northeast corner of the city, foundation Gothic, since the original building was burned by the Protestants in the 16th century. It consists of a nave and two aisles, which open arches forming chapels. The nine windows of the aisles are the work of renowned glass master Bordeaux Joseph Villiet, executed in 1853, and those made by the bedside Jacques Leuzy, glassblowers at Moissac, in 1950.
The fountain of English.
Annual Garage sale May 1 (and parking place A. Fallières the Count's castle).
Night Market producer countries, animation, every Tuesday evening (July-August) from 18h Place Armand Fallières.