Cusset is the 4th largest city in the department of Allier. It is part of the metropolitan area of Vichy Val d'Allier (VVA). The municipality covers 3,172 hectares and has a little over 14,000 inhabitants. Located 274 m above sea level at the confluence of Sichon and Jolan, it is nestled in lush hills: the Puy de la Garde, the Côte des Justices, Green Mountain, Mount Beton.
Archaeological evidence attest a Roman presence.
In 886, was founded a Benedictine abbey, whose abbess had functions lord, collecting taxes and dispensing justice.
Cusset became in 1184 "Royal City" and from 1318 it is part of "Best Cities Auvergne".
From 1476 to 1483, Louis 11th rebuilt the fortifications; the city is surrounded by ramparts punctuated by towers and gates.
Cusset is the largest city in the region, the seat of the court, instead of lively fairs. The long reach of many mills are in operation. This prosperity lasted until the mid 18th century.
In the 1840s, sources are drilled Cusset. A spa opened in 1853, but the fire in the adjoining hotel is fatal to the development of cures. Plants become established, including spinning that makes the famous "Vichy" cotton plaid pink and white.
Since 1960, a major urban renewal is conducted.
Cusset Museum is housed in the only tower of the fortifications of Louis 11th still standing. This is a site museum with through objects, tables, changes in town planning. The visit is coupled to that of the "underground" buried remains today of the ancient gates giving access to the fortress.
Courses surround the town on the site of ancient ditches bordering the fortifications; planted in the 19th century, they are currently undergoing renovations.
Medieval houses still dot the city center: half-timbered house (hosting the Tourist Office), former bailiwick, mansion Jehan de La Borderie (today music school), houses of the Place Victor Hugo ...
The town hall is located in the former abbey which retains its 17th century facade.
The Church of St. Saturninus was rebuilt from 1857 to 1867 in terms of the Parisian architect Jean-Baptiste Lassus, in a neo-gothic style.
The park offers beautiful walks Chambon; pavilions sources are visible.
Athletes have access to a pool and 4 stages to play rugby, football, tennis, skating, athletics, basketball, volleyball, cycling, ball sports.