A few hundred thousand years BC, the first inhabitants settled in the caves, as shown by the cut and polished stones found in the territory. Later, the Celts built west of the village, a parallelogram of 32x28 meters called "Cromleck" menhir a twenty meter high Mount of the "Croc".
The water of the Fountain Saint Michel, on the north side of the village, also of Celtic origin, was known for his virtues and, according to tradition, "the newlyweds drank water for a male child." A Martimont, south of the village, was a Celtic monument that gave birth to a temple dedicated to Mars, hence the name of the hamlet.
The Gauls then lived here before the arrival of the Romans who built, facing the valley of the Aisne, an oppidum brick. During the Middle Ages, the monks of Choisy au Bac constructed a monastery (Brion's farm, between Church Street and the Rue de Chézelles). On the town, the Earth Notre Dame la Garenne Abbot mean even today land that belonged to the abbey.
After the Hundred Years' War began the construction of the church, completed in the last period of the pointed style. Of that, surrounded by a wall flanked by corbelled turrets, she could not withstand the onslaught of Rieux, Lord of Pierrefonds, and was destroyed and most of the houses (late sixteenth). The underground beneath the village and the plateau probably date from this troubled time!
17th and 18th centuries, the houses appeared in local stone. In 1758, Louis Oblet, captain in the Royal Carabinieri, built a manor on the edge of the plateau in front of the Aisne. It will become in 1882 the "Castle Croutoy".
In the 19th century, a cholera epidemic decimated the population. From March to December 1871, the Prussians occupied the village.
The 20th century will be the major conflicts. Briefly occupied by the Germans in September 1914, the village, freed by the victory of the Marne, did not escape the bombing so far, because of its proximity to the front line.
In 1940, France was again invaded. A Croutoy, soldiers of the 170th RI fought house to house to try to stop the German breakthrough on the Aisne, in vain. The village was almost completely destroyed in four years and suffered a severe occupation until his release on 1 September 1944 the first U.S. military. On the airfield, begun by the French and completed by the Germans who used it throughout the conflict, will continue until 1946 a prison camp. Nearly 100,000 German prisoners lived there, crammed into tents and barracks. For his bravery, the town received the Croix de Guerre 14-18 and 39-45.
In 1954, the reconstruction is completed. A restored church, houses rebuilt in the tradition of Soissons, and over the years, an extension, as the village in the hamlet of Martimont. For 30 years, the population continues to grow, under the watchful eye of the new cock on the steeple In 1984 set to take over the veteran crippled by the wars.