At the crossroads of the Loire and Nohain, Cosne-Cours-sur-Loire occupies a privileged position since the Gallo-Roman era. A place of passage between streams and wooded forests, the Celtic invaders were not mistaken: this elbow on the right bank of the Loire was a suitable place to settle and live peacefully without missing anything. The village grew over the centuries but did not really take off until the 17th century with the Manufacture of the Forges of the Chaussade providing the Royal Navy with anchor and equipment. The rise of agriculture and of the earthenware factory completes this economic surge. It was in 1833 that the first bridge over the Loire was erected. But it is in 1959 that the suspension bridge makes its appearance and Cosne-Cours-sur-Loire sees its magnitude tenfold. Today, it is the second city of the Nièvre.