Head of the canton, village Comps is located on the top shelf-Var, 900 meters above sea level in the Parc Naturel Régional du Verdon, bordering the Alpine foothills, with a door to the tourist incomparable Gorges du Verdon, and near the Mediterranean Sea. Step welcoming, calm, its sunny spaces and allow a pleasant stay.
Comps gave two great masters in the Knights of Malta, inheritors of dissolved Order of Templars who had marked their presence by building fortified chapel of St. Andrew. The Coat of Comps reflect the return of the Crusaders after their pilgrimage to Palestine, and the presence Templar (gules, a form of gold, the same cross, bezants with three gold, two in chief and a peak ). The wars of succession of Queen Jeanne put the country with fire and blood, Charles Durras besieged the village and destroyed it, and its fortifications. This heroic, troubled and not remain closed as the chapel of St. Andrew and the two chapels included St. John and St. Didier. Located on a major route between the Mediterranean and the Alps, Comp has been through the centuries, a major expansion, thanks to driver who allowed the existence of a flourishing trade. Since the 1950s, Comps booming again thanks to agriculture adapted to its micro-climate and tourism development.
Visitors can indulge in various sporting and recreational activities, benefiting from all services, without being far from the Cote d'Azur (50 minutes), Lake St. Croix and the Alps.
Chapel of St. Andrew:
Templar chapel listed building November 16, 1891. Built around 1100 by the Knights Templar on a hill 963 m above sea level, it is among the highest works of the department of Var. It passed into the hands of the Knights of Saint John of Jerusalem in 1313 (Hospital) became in 1518 the Knights of the Order of Malta. It served as a parish church to the people of Comps. In 1890 it was replaced by a larger church and more modern. First restoration in 1903. It was damaged by the vagaries of weather and dilapidated by the various invaders. Many repairs were needed to restore. Re-roofing slate in the apse, round tiles for the roof of the nave and varnished to scale the roof of the tower. The baroque high altar has been restored. On August 15, 1761, during the Mass, a storm broke and lightning entered through the bell tower, crossed the chapel, the dresses of the ladies burned. Since then, every year in August 15, there is a procession out of the statue of the Virgin. It is often visited by tourists traveling to the Gorges du Verdon.