Common surface of 1,087 hectares located in the plain low-chablais the lake, with a coastline of 5 km at an altitude of 372 m to 430 m, the town of about 1650 inhabitants (in 2007) is near the Swiss town of Hermance.
By its location on the shores of Lake Geneva and its protected environment (serving non-urban banks, meadows and wooded valleys, large area of forest?), The town presents undeniable tourist attractions.
Chens-sur-Léman is still a village with large areas of forest and agricultural land. Its natural heritage it is now 2 sites classified as "Natura 2000".
A link allows the lake to transport passengers between Nyon (Switzerland joint) and Chens-sur-Léman.
The economic sectors are:
L? Agriculture: the town has several farms whose business occupies 35% of the municipality.
Fishing: fishing professionals who practice their activity on Lake Geneva (the largest lake in Western Europe, 582 km ² including 239 km ² in France).
Shops and businesses: the town with restaurants, partly related to tourism, shopping as "near" are concentrated in the chief town. There are also companies (construction, green space, carpentry, painting, bottling of wines).
Formerly very populous, there were five on her shore lacustrine (lake dwellings) and the interior, many Neolithic sites, Gallo-Roman and Burgundian.
In the Middle Ages, the parish and the town was known as "Cusy" (or cursier) until about 1860. She reported to the Count of Geneva and occupied an important strategic position between the houses of Savoy and Faucigny. Three fiefs divided the territory Cusy: Grésier, which reported Faucigny and its castle, now vanished, defended the right bank of Hermance and lake access, Servette, which belonged to the Count of Savoy, and finally The largest, Beauregard, who reported to the Count of Geneva.
The heart of the town was then in place known today Cusy, which remains an oratory in the parish church burned during the revolution.
Then the town will be called Cusy-Chens then Chens-Cusy and Chen in 1866 to 1872. In 1953 a ministerial decree authorizes the designation Chens-sur-Léman.