Chauny is situated on the river Oise, in a fertile valley that some authors call "The Golden Valley".
This city is heir to a prestigious past. Presumably the city arose after the destruction of the Roman city of Condren and invasions of the Vandals and Huns in 407 and 451.
Chauny does not always carried the same name, Latin writers call Calniacum to become later in the charters of Kings Calny, Causni, Caunes and finally Chauny.
Over the centuries, Chauny was often invaded.
In Gargantua Rabelais described it as a city full of zest and verve. Chauny has retained its reputation as successful and dynamic city.
Located in the heart of a vibrant industrial area, its economic development starts in the late 18th century ice warehouse built in Saint-Gobain.
Since 1822, its mission is affirmed through the manufacture of soda.
In 1835, the famous physicist and chemist Joseph Louis Gay-Lussac, who now runs the local laboratory, shows that chlorine is an element and isolated cyanogen.
In 1917, the city is completely destroyed with dynamite by the Germans and will be gradually rebuilt until 1930.
The legend of monkeys Chauny:
Caption 1: The municipality of Chauny wanting, say, swans populate the waters around this small town, made the request to the city of Paris. Whoever was responsible for writing, either inadvertently or through ignorance, put "cynges" instead of "cyngnes. However, as previously spelling the word monkey with a "c" and "y" (cynge), Parisians Chauny sent to a collection of man-monkeys. Hence the saying was born monkeys Chauny. If non e vero, bene trovato.
Legend 2: It is much more likely that the nickname comes from the fact that the musketeers of Chauny bore the figure of a monkey on their banner.
Legend 3: Mr. Boileau Maulaville think this nickname comes from the taste that people had Chauny of the Middle Ages to the public games, the tricks and antics. But it is especially Rabelais writes, in "Gargantua" in Chapter 24, a paragraph on Chauny. He reported the activity of Gargantua and his schedule when the air was wet: "Would see batteleurs, trajectaires (jugglers), thiéracleurs (quacks), and considered their actions, their cunning, their soubressauts (capers ) and good talk, especially those in Chauny in Picardy, because they are such large and beautiful waxwings donor nonsense in green monkeys (chimeric animals). Thus, the monkeys remained the symbol of the city and they are found on the shields.
Chauny The city was completely rebuilt in the years 1920-1930 in the Art Deco style. Therefore you will find buildings of a particular style as the station, indoor market, City Hall and especially the interiors and the hall that are most representative.
Two churches are also of this period: the church of Saint Martin in 1927 and founded the church of Notre Dame in 1930.
Random Street you will also find large mansions, but also looking up, you will see the facades of some buildings, frescoes, sculptures and drawings that reflect the rich history of Chauny.
The municipal museum offers 300 rooms including a geological collection, another of flints, the remains of Gallo-Roman pottery, a Merovingian sarcophagus, seals dating from the French Revolution, of earthenware Sinceny and the order signed by Louis 18th in 1814 that restored the arms of the city.
The park "The Walks", built on the ruins of the ramparts of the old city, has a fitness trail, but it also hosts the Jeu de Paume and a set of Arc.
The market is held every Friday morning from 8.30am to 12pm on the Place de l'Hotel de Ville for fruits and vegetables, and the market place to cover the rest.
The Fair in March, 1st carnival of the year takes place on the Place Saint Momble for a long period.
A flower market, organized by the Office of Tourism, held annually in May
Celebrations of Rabelais, each year, beginning on Ascension for 4 days, with the market Rabelais set up City Hall and involving nearly 50 booths of crafts and products of various regions. The highlight is undoubtedly the parade and carnival folk, who conducted the Sunday closing, joined many foreign companies that complement the show. These festivals attract thousands of visitors each year. Greater participation of local companies.
Jumble sale early September.
Many flea markets are held throughout the year.
ATTRACTIONS, LEISURES AND ACTIVITES AROUND
At FARGNIER: Museum of the Resistance and Deportation.
At Saint-Gobain: the former Manufacture Royale des Glaces created by Colbert in 1692 with gorgeous chapel that sits at the entrance thereof. Also the underground of the old castle located under the site of the factory.
Beautiful hikes to do in the great forest of 10 000 hectares where you will find the rocks of the Hermitage.
The locks are also a pole of attraction in the region. Canal de l'Oise, Aisne and Saint-Quentin roads are always busy especially boaters who join foreign capital or the shores of the ocean.