From the year 845, the town of Castillon is mentioned: it is then a question of "Castillon which is on the river Dordogne," seat of the Viscount de Castillon created by Charlemagne. From the outset the strategic site is used as a castrum to monitor activity on the Dordogne. Around, a prosperous city was gradually built, walled part of which survives and is still visible today.
In 1953, for the 500th anniversary of the battle of 1453, which took place on the outskirts of the city and ended the 100 years war between French and English, Castillon was renamed "Castillon-la-Bataille". Land of history where the reception of the traveler is a tradition Castillon-la-Bataille, cradled by the majestic Dordogne, is full of beautiful natural and architectural heritage. Culinary specialties and prestigious wines of the Côtes de Castillon, beauty of the river pageants, international cycling criterium, quality entertainment know seduce and satisfy the senses of passing tourists.