City Carmaux is the limit of the plains of Aquitaine and the Massif Central, which explains the presence of coal in his basement. It serves as a contact point between the North and Ségala the rich alluvial plain of the Tarn.
A small river, the Cérou, the cross from east to west. Its source is near the northeast limit of the department, near Valence d'Albi and flows into the Aveyron near Milhars northwest.
The city has been awarded the towns and villages in bloom "two flowers."
More than 80 associations and other partners offer entertainment throughout the year.
The origins of Carmaux, in all likelihood, back to the time of the Gauls. Its name comes from that of a character Caramantus Gallic, Latin name and the spelling has varied over the centuries to become Carmaux in 1848.
It was at the very beginning, a farming hamlet on the left bank of Cérou. The river often changed its capricious court at the rate of its flood until one of her book, by erosion, the secret of wealth from the basement: coal.
Local residents used it primarily for personal use and then carried him to sell it to Albi, Gaillac and Toulouse in 1245. It was not until 1752 that the Chevalier de Solages obtained from King Louis the 15th the first concession followed later by several others. Coal mining is organized then and continues to grow. To use this coal, a glass is put into operation in 1754. The industrial era of the 19th century and the construction of the railway promote the development of the mining industry will continue until 1997. During this long period, Carmaux was the scene of hard labor struggles, and political union.