City waterfront, Beauvoir-sur-Mer has a rich and fascinating history. Important events took place there and illustrious characters are gone.
The origins of the town date back to the Gallo-Roman period. The town was then called Ampennum. The current name of the city appears only in 1040, under the Latin form of "Bellumvidere" in a decree of the Episcopal Bishop of Poitiers I Isambert. Moreover, it was not until the 14th century, in 1343, the current name of Beauvoir-sur-Mer appeared for the first time.
The first highlight of the history of the city was without a doubt the arrival of Saint-Philbert in the region in the 7th century. The mission of this was the evangelization of peoples. Thus he founded a monastery at Ampennum to 680. Destroyed in the 9th century by the Norman invasions, the monastery was the beginning of a real religious life in the city.
In the centuries following the Norman invasion, three religious communities settled in the city by building each have their own monastery. Beauvoir was therefore the place of one of the largest monastic concentrations in Lower Poitou. It must be said that the city had significant attractions: its geographical position (Beauvoir is the key to entering the island of Noirmoutier), fertile and arable land, vineyards, salt, meadows ...
The city with all its assets has quickly made a major expansion and the defense became a major issue. Thus, from the 11th century, it is stated the presence of a castle in Beauvoir, which developed over the centuries by the lords de Beauvoir, which gave the city from the 14th century as the city because of the importance that the building took during the Hundred Years War. Thus, at the end of it, Beauvoir had three monasteries, two churches: Saint-Nicolas and Saint-Philbert and a castle.
Prosperity Beauvoir-sur-Mer yet progressed in the centuries that followed through the development of salt that brought the Bay of Bourgneuf an international reputation in the 15th and 16th centuries. Trade in the bay was at that time a high intensity with the presence of many boats from all over Europe. Thus, until the late 17th century, Beauvoir-sur-Mer was one of the major cities of the region. But events such as the wars of religion, especially where Beauvoir saw the seat of his castle by Henry of Navarre, the future Henri IV and the destruction of that castle by order of Louis 14th in 1689, and the Revolution which led to wars Vendee weakened the city.
This is especially after recent wars parishes de Beauvoir and Crosnière were attached, the Crosnière have been totally devastated by infernal columns Turreau. Of all the great buildings constructed Beauvoir-sur-Mer it remains today Saint-Philbert church, built on the very site of the priory of Saint-Philbert. It is the witness full of history of the city. Indeed, built in the 11th century, it has seen the city evolve over the centuries.
Today, the town has evolved with the times and business sectors have changed. While there are some salt, the main business of the city became the fishing port with its iconic Bec. Tourism has also appeared with the arrival of many visitors on the Passage du Gois. Indeed, this exceptional site now has an international reputation for its originality.
Beauvoir-sur-Mer is a city renowned for its heritage. Indeed, today, many heritage sites to discover. They represent a link between generations and inform us in different ways on various aspects of the lives of our ancestors as it was in the city belvérine at different periods of history.
They each have a charm all its own and, at each site a different feel permeates the visitor. Origins of the city which was called Ampennum until today, more than 1000 years of history of Beauvoir are exposed.
The Passage du Gois (the first known crossing around 843 AD)
The port of Bec (seventeenth century).
The church of Saint-Philbert (eleventh century).
The house of Mathurins (thirteenth century).
The cemetery Crosnière (eighteenth century).
The Black Bridge (nineteenth century).
The little station (early 20th century).
The Commonwealth graves (WWII).
Les Salines (from the seventh century).
Windmills (eighteenth-nineteenth centuries).
The metal hangers.
Beauvoir-sur-Mer Municipality organizes several activities each year to promote common among vacationers.
Establishment of a heritage trail: The course identifies and explains the heritage sites and monuments of tourist interest of the municipality, such as the Passage du Gois, or the church of Saint-Philbert. This course consists of 16 fixed supports and can be followed throughout the year.
The Gois Strides: Running race one, it takes place on the famous Passage du Gois, a rising tide. Second sporting event after the Vendee Globe, the Strides Gois gather more than 1500 runners.
The Music Festival: The municipality organizes every year in downtown concerts during the music festival. Several groups succeed on the Grand Place, for an increasingly diverse programming. Since the common part in the Music Festival, it was proposed choral singing (choir of the association of retired athletes Beauvoir), of sea shanties (chorus Jad'Hiss Pornic), song French (Momo, Flo), country music (Dixie Chorus), the comic song (Nestor Minimousse and Compass), and rock (The Joss, do not be angry).
Animations of July 14 and August 15: During the two national holidays, a flea market takes place on day three of Alexander Place. July 14 and August 15, the town systematically organizes a night market on the Grand Place in the city center, accompanied by various folk entertainment, games and music, which are closed with a fireworks type K3. The night markets whose rights are free space for the many exhibitors, are composed of forty stands of regional products and fantasies. It is also on the Grand Place which is the proposed street festivals (folk dances and other Vendée), concerts (Samuel B in 2009, The Beautiful Blue in 2010), the dances, and children's activities (waders and sculptors of balloons, bouncy castle). The fireworks of July 14 and August 15 are from the downtown Beauvoir-sur-Mer, making it extremely lively during these days of national holidays. The fireworks unite at over 2000 people.
Painting Competition: Every year in August 15th, the town organizes a painting competition, rewarding and involving twenty participants tourists, children and adults.
Summer concerts at Saint-Philbert: Since 2010, the town hosts free concerts every Wednesday evening in the church of Saint-Philbert, between July 14 and August 15. A dominant classical programming these concerts is extremely varied, however, and adds real value to the cultural offer of the town.