Of Aujac castle and hamlet Cheylard (twelfth century):
Perched at an altitude of 600m at the crossroads of the present departments of Gard, Lozère and Ardèche, the top of a promontory, it is the last representative of an intact network of fortifications on an existing route in the Middle age, first mentioned in 1270 as Val Cezarencha.
The square tower in the round tower, the castle bailey shows the evolution of the Middle Ages to the Renaissance. Under the protection of its walls, a fortified medieval village settled with farm dovecote, barn, clède chapel.
Site registered historical monument, simultaneous backup of the castle and its town castral ensures consistency in this magnificent architectural ensemble and is a rare example of conservation. Inhabited the Middle Ages until today, it is the subject of scientific research and restoration.