The common Aranc (Arena 1284) depended until the French Revolution of the lordship of Rougemont (now village in the municipality). This manor, mentioned as early as 1114, was one of the oldest secular lordships Bugey. Aranc became common in 1790 but also chief town of the district from 1790 to 1800. Township Aranc then included Corlier, Montgriffon, and Chaley Lacoux.
Aranc always had a mainly agricultural although many craftsmen have practiced their profession. Today, there is a federal center VTT.
The municipality covers 2164 hectares. It is composed of three geographical distinct: the valley of Aranc, the heights of the East (with the neck of the Berche to 864 m) and the valley of the Mandorne west.
The town has, besides the village Aranc several hamlets (Rougemont, Salagnat, Résinand, The Pézières) and isolated farms (the Mill Colognat the Grange Goyet, farms and Malaval Gorges). If the population was 1232 inhabitants in 1831, is currently 291.